Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Services For Macintosh Files Disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello all.

My name is Kevin Smith. I work for Golden Pages, Dublin, Ireland. Golden Pages is the Yellow Pages company for Ireland.

I have a very "interesting" problem. It is driving me nuts. I would love to see what you and other people who read your site think of it.

Basically I have Windows 2000 Advanced Edition Server SP1 with Services for Macintosh installed on it. This has 17 MAC volumes/shares. I have approx 30 MAC clients that log in and see the MAC Volumes. This has been working fine up until now. The MAC volumes contains a load of desktop publishing files such as Quarke etc. These are stored in a large directory structure.

The crux of the problem is that the files disappear (from the MAC Clients view) on an irratic basis. The MAC clients use a system that calls up Quarke to read in the Quarke files. If Quarke doesn't see a file it creates a blank template. This then overrides the orginal file on the 2000 server MAC volume. If I log onto the the 2000 server I can see the Quarke file in the MAC volume. However the MAC Clients don't see the Quarke file. This then means the file (seen by 2000 - not by the MAC) is overwritten with a blank template. This happens in a non predictable way.

I have been trauling the net for information on the limits of Services For Mactintosh on Windows 2000 but can't find any. My average volume has 29,000 files approx and 18,000 directories. The average MAC volume takes up 3.0GB of data. The large number if directories is due the way the Graphics Software organises things.

Has anyone seen a similar problem? Does anyone know a good location for documents etc. on SFM.

Any info much appreciated,

Kevin Smith.

How many directories are located where Quark is trying load its template-not all 18,000? Worst case/Best case-fewer directories and no problem-some kind of timeout by either Quark :) or the network stack reading all the directories?

What OS version are your Mac clients? Are they ALL the same AppleShare version?

Did you test for the problem using a DAVE (Thursby Software) client connection from the Mac under the SMB protocol? ...............................
Thanks, Gary

We had a similar problem view because we were running a product called Undelete Server on the Windows 2000 server. This keeps a backup copy of all deleted files in the Recovery Bin but it conflicts with SFM. Mac clients cannot see files after they have been replaced by a newly saved version but Windows clients can. There would be no problem if the same file was saved under a different name - only if one version is overwritten by another.

Our solution was to exclude from the Undelete Recovery Bin any folders on the server used by SFM. You can still undelete from disk to recover deleted files which have been removed from, or never been saved in, the recovery bin. "Deleted" files includes those that have been overwritten by a new version.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back