Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service to search among attributes of a document

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajaneeshJM

Programmer
Apr 22, 2014
IN
Hi,

We have an application which is already integrated with DMS systems like Documentum and Sharepoint. We are now supposed to integrate with Livelink [Content Server 10 SP2 Update 11]. While integrating with Documentum and Sharepoint we provide a feature where in the user can search for values matching the attributes of a document. For example list all documents which have file name starting with "ABC". Or list all documents which have title as "DEF". I would like to know the Web Service to be used to provide similar features while integrating with Livelink. For now, I am aware that Authentication service is to be used for authentication to livelink, DocumentManagement to retrieve the documents/folders/contents available in a workspace and ContentService is to used to download a document available in Livelink.

In short, I would like to know the service to be used for searching among the attributes of a document. Note that we are not required to support Content searching [searching the content of the document]. My assumption is that SearchService is to be used for Content searching.

Please respond.

Thanks in advance
Rajaneesh JM

The bundled searchservice with the other WCF&Jax-WS is end of life so if the method exists there you would be lucky.Not many people know this but livelink has a a very clsoed connection to search but technically they are separate. Livelink communicates to its search using query string params that goes like ?func=search.It is an API that is very mature but at time of writing this you can only call it via a webform . In programming one would have to emulate a browser POST/GET.the API is extremely well documented with examples at the KB.
Here is an example in this forum

OT engineering s coming up with a JSON representation of the same search to target AppWorks developers

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Hi Appnair,

Do you mean SearchService webservice is of no use? Is it not possible to search for documents/folders based on certain attributes?

I have written a sample program as listed below.

SingleSearchRequest singleSearchRequest = new SingleSearchRequest();
singleSearchRequest.setDataCollectionSpec("'LES Enterprise'");
singleSearchRequest.setQueryLanguage("Livelink Search API V1");
singleSearchRequest.setFirstResultToRetrieve(1);
singleSearchRequest.setNumResultsToRetrieve(10000);

singleSearchRequest.setResultOrderSpec("sortByRegion=OTCreatedBy");

singleSearchRequest.setResultSetSpec("where1=Sample_Document");
singleSearchRequest.getResultTransformationSpec().add("OTName");
singleSearchRequest.getResultTransformationSpec().add("OTLocation");

SingleSearchResponse singleSearchResponse = searchService.search(singleSearchRequest, "");
System.out.println("Search Output:"+singleSearchResponse.getResults().getItem().size());

I get the below listed exception while executing this piece of code

javax.xml.ws.soap.SOAPFaultException: Error applying query on Enterprise: Error applying query on Enterprise Search Manager: No Search Engine available for this Data Source. Please report this problem to your Administrator.
at com.sun.xml.internal.ws.fault.SOAP11Fault.getProtocolException(SOAP11Fault.java:178)
at com.sun.xml.internal.ws.fault.SOAPFaultBuilder.createException(SOAPFaultBuilder.java:119)
at com.sun.xml.internal.ws.client.sei.SyncMethodHandler.invoke(SyncMethodHandler.java:108)
at com.sun.xml.internal.ws.client.sei.SyncMethodHandler.invoke(SyncMethodHandler.java:78)
at com.sun.xml.internal.ws.client.sei.SEIStub.invoke(SEIStub.java:107)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy37.search(Unknown Source)
at com.sysarris.register.livelink.TestLiveLink.main(TestLiveLink.java:158)
Caused by: javax.xml.ws.soap.SOAPFaultException: Error applying query on Enterprise: Error applying query on Enterprise Search Manager: No Search Engine available for this Data Source. Please report this problem to your Administrator.
at com.opentext.livelink.service.core.ExceptionUtil.throwSOAPFaultException(ExceptionUtil.java:162)
at com.opentext.livelink.service.searchservices.SearchService_JAXWS.search(SearchService_JAXWS.java:58

Are there any settings to be done to enable Search in livelink. Note that we are using CS10 SP2 Update 11.

Use some common sense here
Error applying query on Enterprise: Error applying query on Enterprise Search Manager:

Your livelink server is returning that to your code.I would imagine that on your livelink instance where you are pointing your code search is not working
Without search working I would think it is hard to get either web gui or code to do what you need.
The wcf/jax-ws is calling the livelink search API just like the oscript of livelink does.Fr reasons unknown to the programmers the vendor says that
they won't carry this .net/java implementation forward so if it works well and good.Usually when a vendor says don't use that they have reasons that they don't want to share perhaps its is buggy,error prone and they can't find ways to fix it .Now you choose wisely....

Hi Appnair,

Thanks for the clarification.

I also realized that the Search is not working on the livelink instance to which the web-services are connected. But I am unable to go further than this. Is there any particular settings to be done in the Administrator level for the search is work. Note we have installed CS10 SP2 Update 11. We have also installed the Rendition module, although there is no Rendition server. [I was not aware that the Rendition Server is required. I assumed Rendition module is enough to changed the rendition type of documents]

I have not been able to obtain any confirmation from OpenText, that the SearchService is not to be used. I have reached a dead-end where in the sample program says Search Engine not available but I am unable to identify the settings. Please help me resolve this.

Thanks and Regards
Rajaneesh JM

Is this a livelink instance for you to play with like a test or dev system then all you have to do is look at the install documentation and configure search.I said test or dev because if you do not know what you are doing in a prod system you could cause some serious hardship.Once livelink search is configured it runs without any problem because all it needs is disk space and some resources.Higher errors that livelink admins cannot solve is usually dealt with by a support ticket.If the search was configured and working re-booting the system,re-synchronizing the system or even re-starting the "Admin Service" of livelink usually fixes the problem.Search system also has beautifully written logs that tell you what the program is going thru.Search is not written in oscript livelink's language.They bundle the search service with livelink and livelink calls it like an API.Not many people know this.The KB or on line documentation has lots of material on how to troubleshoot search issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back