Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Tag Id

Status
Not open for further replies.

cndcadams

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2004
US
I replaced a system board on a poweredge 2550 we have and I wanted to change the service tag id to match the chassis label, does anyone have a clue how to do this?

Thanks

CA

FYI found a download on dell ftp site and was able to change the service tag. ftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/asset.com

make bootable floppy and put asset.com on it.

boot floppy and run command asset /s XXXXXX

XXXXXX=service tag #

Thanks

CA

unguenstig;

Well my company services dell systems and we had to swap a system board on a customer system and I wanted to make the system board tag id match the chassis so i searched the web and found a forum post where someone wanted to do what I was looking to do, and they had the ftp site referenced on it. I also searched dell tech docs and had found info on the Asset utility. Since I had the system board from the customer site I tested the procedure on our system and it was quick and easy. Bios shows the correct Service Tag ID and so does openmanager so it definately worked.

Thanks

CA

There is also a bootable CD available from Dell (for Dell techs only) that has that utility on it.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back