Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service State: Off-Hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmynetstep

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2006
US
I status a couple of problematic stations and I keep getting the Service State: Off Hook message.

I have a Definity G3 Switch and Avaya puts this out on their support page:

The Connected Ports field should be blank if the phone is on-hook and populated if the phone is off-hook. A phone with Service State off-hook and no connected port could have a problem (
If I pick up the telephone on these lines, it seems that they are dead. If I call the number, then I keep getting a busy signal. I have called BellSouth and they are telling me to talk to our hardware vendor (Avaya). Avaya, in turn, tells me to talk to BellSouth!

This problem persists on 4 lines. What am I missing?

I hate to say it bit are we possible missing the obvious. Is the phone set itself an analog set.

prflash

OK, line appearance is call-appr

It is a 2500 analog phone

When I pickup the receiver, i get no dialtone.

When I call the extension, I get a busy signal.

koglass: i am logged in as superuser. how can i not have those permissions? id like to have them ! =P

I have seen this when the board goes bad ....all Analog stations report as off-hook > calling gets a busy & no dialtone from sets ....do a display of alarms or even check to see if you have a red light on board 01c02 ....even try list config all I bet the board does not show up and says
"no board " :)

Cheers

ayavauser

The busy is because there is no cover path programmed on the set just as you would get if someone was actually on the phone and it was called the system is saying hey your off-hook I will give the called user a busy signal >
if you had a cover path to voicemail it would go right to the personal mailbox greeting

Cheers:)

ayavauser

Avayauser, one extension does go directly to voicemail. When I deactivate that, I still get the busy signal when called and no dialtone when the receiver is picked up.

I also did a list config on the board:

01B02 ANALOG LINE TN793 000006 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08
u 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

other lines on the board are working as intended. This is perplexing !!!!!

i said this before. Look at the ports of the 4 stations in trouble and if they are on the same board then I agree with avayauser.

jimmy is sort of handicapped becuase he has no rights to even bu/rel stations or trunks.

prflash

Have you tried to connect a butt set someplace between the set and the switch to determine if the dialtone is making it to the set? I would start at the switch and work my way through each of the cross connect fields until I reach the point where either the dialtone drops or the set is reached.

Of course, if you do not get a dialtone at the switch itself, you have a problem with the port/circuit pack. Usually there will be a minor alarm associated with this... something to do with voltage if memory serves me.

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

prflash: Lines to board designation

6536 01A1019
6549 01B0212
6597 01C0713

Also, how can I NOT have the rights you speak of when I am the superuser? Is there a setting that I can change?

you show the same extension using 2 different ports on different cards where is the trouble showing to

01c02 board

01b02 board

trouble shows as 01c0202 in the post above

did you move from 01c0202 to 0b0212 ?

Type: 2500 Service State: in-srv/on-hook or disc
Extension: 6459 Download Status: not-applicable
Port: 01C0202 SAC Activated? no
Call Parked? no User Cntrl Restr: none
Ring Cut Off Act? no Group Cntrl Restr: none
Active Coverage Option: 1 CF Destination Ext:

good shows as 01b0212

Type: 2500 Service State: in-service/off-hook
Extension: 6549 Download Status: not-applicable
Port: 01B0212 SAC Activated? no
Call Parked? no User Cntrl Restr: none
Ring Cut Off Act? no Group Cntrl Restr: none
Active Coverage Option: 1 CF Destination Ext:

whats is slot 01c02 ????

what ports are in trouble f any on 01b02 ????

ayavauser

Avayauser:

I accidentally statused the wrong extension... 6459 vs 6549

The correct extension is the 6549.

Please excuse my ignorance =)

Did you try this straight off the ports??? This will narrow it down for you.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
(Plato)

Also, what are the busy/release station rights that I need? I am logging in as a superuser but cannot busy/release stations.

When I try to busyout a station (and press help after busyout command), all it wants me to input is MIS(dunno what that is).

Where can I change that user rights setting?

I could only think of one other thing. May be crossconnect on the frame is on the wrong port or half on one port and half on another.

Ive done that soemtimes and got had the condition that jimmy is having???

prflash

Unless you have another ID Avaya will hav to change that for you. $$$$$$$

I do have other IDs but this one (i thought) was the one with the most privelages.

What am I looking for in the list login command output? Service Level = super-user
Login Type = customer

Try one of ur other id's and see if you can bu/rel a station

If you can get to the switch itself, make sure the telco cable is plugged in firmly. The telco may have been bumped loose.

Before you hunt through all the programming in the Definity, have you checked the wires? Have you verified that you have a 100% good path between the switch and the set?

I would worry less about priviledges until the wiring is ruled out.

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

jimmynetstep,

Any luck. I have very curious about this issue your having. I have a funny feeling feeling it will be something plain and simple.

prflash

No luck just yet.

I appreciate all the valuable information this group has provided.

As soon as I am bale to resolve the issue, I will post here. Until then, I am going to check wires, the board, the connections to the switch.

It must be something simple. I could be overlooking something, but I am banging my head trying to figure out what that is >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back