Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack Question...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smccammon

Technical User
Sep 7, 2006
US
I am working on some infected pc's with the w32.spybot.worm. Two machines are connected to devices that cannot be ran with service pack 4 and service pack 2 is installed. However the fix we have for the machines including the other machines w/o the devices the fix requires service pack 4 to be installed. Now is there any way around this or any way to remove this worm. The worm has disabled our anti-virus software (symantec). Thanks

in my limited experience with sort of situation, i.e. norton is disabled, I have to assume that worms and viruses target norton because it is the most widly used. I have had success with installing AVG free edition and running that. I've run AVG free for 6 years on my machine and only been bitten once...pretty good app.

If you must go deep try using hijackthis, you'll be able to kill the reg key, after some hunting. Don't know how deep your knowledge goes, but make sure you delete the right key, they don't go to the recycle bin.

I've also used reglite, which shows active keys as they are initiated, there is an option to watch them scroll across the screen in real time...I've found it quite helpful.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back