Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2001
US
I added service pack 3 to my server and everything is going wrong. to begin with the IDEATA file included in the service pack kept my server from booting so I had to get rid of it. Then my workstations couldn't see my tree and the print server wouldn't load. a server that worked perfectly before using service pack 2 is having problems with the new service pack. By some miracle I managed to fix most of the problems but one. every time I run DSREPAIR I keep getting error messages like the one listed below. can anyone explain what they mean?

NetWare 5.00 Directory Services Repair 85.11d, DS 8.77
Log file for server ".SENTINEL.CAB" in tree "TOWNSEND"
** Automated Repair Mode **
Repairing Local Database
Start: Monday, December 24, 2001 5:35:35 pm Local Time

Structure and Index Check
Creating Temporary Files
Repair Trees - Scan Values
Repair Trees - Sorting Values
Repair Trees - Scan Entries
Repair Trees - Sorting Entries
Repair Trees - Check Values
Repair Trees - Check Entries
Total Objects in Database: 611
Total Objects in Schema : 566
Total External References: 1
Total Objects in Replicas: 33
Schema Check

Schema Class Definition, Object ID: 0000019F, RDN: Partition
ERROR: removing from rule base #0, rule value 00000185

Schema Class Definition, Object ID: 0000031C, RDN: dmd
ERROR: removing from rule base #0, rule value 00000185

PS. I recomend users stay away from Netware's Service Pack3 there's alot of bugs to be resolved. My proof is two servers crashed when I installed it in my netware 5.1 Server.

I disagree completely with your views on SP3 for NetWare 5.1. I have been fortunate enough to be involved in several rollouts of SP3 at three different clients comprising of about 450 NetWare servers and several different configurations (NDS7, NDS8, e-Directory etc..). The only problems I have encountered were with IPSRAID.HAM and all that required was an updated HAM driver.

Although the following Novell TID may not exactly be a fix, hopefully it is an explanation. I believe it to be an issue with the NDS Schema.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

I have also had some major problems with SP3. After installing it on my Dell PowerEdge 2500 server everything went haywire! I havent been able to solve the problems on my own but a NetWare techie is coming to rescue me in the beginning of the next year.

You can read more about what happend to me here:

Its strange that they have been aware of it since 31 August but still havent done anything about it.

Daniel Svensson

I have installed SP3 on over 20 5.1 servers with narry a problem. The only problem I had was with which files to overwrite and which to leave as is.

I suggest when it comes to Dell servers that you wipe them and do a fresh install without the Dell crapola. I have never had a problem with them after doing that.

I cant just wipe a server that contains important information.

I have netware 5 server too. gateway 7200. i've been running service pack 2 just fine but when I upgraded to sp3 everything didn't work the way it used to. the server slowed down and it gives me the wrong speed of the server when I'm at the console prompt. I have a 900mhz server and it says it's running at 433mhz. the thing is i'm the only one on the server and I'm not running anything on it. I had to call a technician to fix the problems and the final solution was to reinstall from scratch. it cost me alot to do so but I agree that sp3 has a lot of bugs.

How can SP3 have a lot of bugs when 99% of SP3 installations work ok? Yes, there has been people with issues but to say a statement like "sp3 has a lot of bugs" is infactual to the extreme.

Novell are not perfect (take NW4 DS v6.09 and Novell Client 4.8 as a big example), but lets be honest: if you do get an issue, there is a wealth of information to look at on and forums such as this where your problem can be raised, discussed and resolved in double-quick time. Novell do a better job than Microsoft have ever done anyway!

Darn your passionate.

No one is saying anything bad about Novell lad, just airing problems that we’ve experienced with the service pack.

I agree Novell is way better than Mirosoft server.

Have a nice day.

I find it helps having a bit of passion about your work - sometimes it is the only way to convince Management that something needs to be done.

But the worse thing that gets on my tits is when the LAN/WAN department say slow access is caused by the servers when it is blatently not. I once had a LAN/WAN Manager whose answer was to TCP/IP ping everything to see whether it was up. We had slow issues with several NW4.11 servers on a segment and when he pinged them they did not respond. Why? Because they were not configured for TCP/IP. Hmmm..... -----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back