Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack Partial Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
Netware 4.11 with Groupwise 5.25. I recently installed the final Service Pack for this version of Groupwise (SP6). This was done in the hopes of alleviating an abend in the POA that didn't seem to stop any services or bother anything at all other than to start another instance of the server. Somehow it failed to install all the files in the software distribution directory. Even though I checked the box not to inform Clients of an upgrade, it did inform Clients when they started Groupwise and if they clicked on yes to upgrade, they were told there was no setup file and Groupwise would not run. To temporarily repair this, I renamed and restored the client directory from before the upgrade. This would probably work fine forever if there were no further upgrades planned but I would like to make things all of the same level so there are no problems when things go to some future version of Groupwise. I cannot reapply the Service Pack because it does not find the earlier versions of files that it is looking to replace. I have been unable to find any instructions regarding backrevving to SP5. I did allow the Service Pack install program to backup the originals but there is no info on what to do to replace them so I can try again to apply SP6. Any ideas?

This happened to me also with GW5.5...I have not found an answer on how to backrev - please let me know if you do!

leslie.houghtaling@corningfcu.org

Thanks!

I would reapply the service pack afer making sure that there is no groupwise nlms running. Maybe rem out any grpwise startup files from autoexec.ncf and reboot the server.

I have seen partial installations when there is gwenn1.nlm running after poa and mta have been shut down.

Regarding the client upgrade.

In a nutshell. goto software\client directory and rem out buildnumber line.

Patrick

You have misunderstood. The Service Pack was installed with the main purpose of upgrading the NLMs. It has done this and so far there have been no new abends. The server was booted without Groupwise in order to do the upgrade. After rebooting with Groupwise loading, it became apparent that the software distribution directory did not get the new client software when users started to log on and be informed of new software. This was checked to not inform them but that isn't the issue now. There was only a partial install of client software so there was nothing to run. The upgrade will not run again because it does not recognize earlier versions of some files that it wants to replace and just halts the upgrade process. I need to backrev to SP5 in order for the SP6 install to be happy but short of spending tedious hours trying to replace things file by file, I'm not sure what to do. I let the patch install back up the current files but there are no instructions that I can find telling a person what to do with the backed up files.

hmmzzzz ,,,

case of nlm's updating .. look at the GWIA nlm this is probably in use and wont update .. (mine abended on webaccess) see if its loaded and what version ( sp have updated nlms but still uses one old one.. extract the nlm in question and (backup the groupwise dir n nlms) replace it and restart the server

That was the info that I needed. Thanx

I ran into the same kind of situation with my GroupWise update. I had to restore my old software distribution directory from tape as well as the main NLM's I knew belonged to GW. After I did that successfully I had some objects that gave me the warning that they were still replicating. According to support.novell.com you will see the same thing as a result of a bad PO move. I had to edit the registry on my administration box to get the groupwise diagnosticutility to run..( . to remove all groupwise attributes from the users and re-add them to the groupwise system. Since we have our users archive their mail we also had to run the FID editor from Novell on each archive to make it match the users new FID. After we had everything squared away a few users complained that their GW was telling them that new software was available. We told them not to update.

Good Luck if you need further assistance let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back