Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

service pack installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradiator

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2004
US
i don't think this could be possible, but is there any way to have service packs and server updates installed on a drive other than the C: drive?? when we had set up our new server in Jan, we made the C: drive to 12 gigs. Now we are running out of space because of these different updates that microsoft is releasing. I was just wondering if i could install service packs and updates on a different drive.

Do you just mean that it is leaving the install package and uninstall info behind? If so, once you are comfortable with the stability of the system you can move or delete these.

Also, you could move your page file to make space and possibly improve performance as well.

anawrocki, thank you for your suggestion. i was thinking more on the lines of forcing Windows updates to install on another location other than the c:drive

The Windows updates replace parts of the OS so they have to install to the C drive or the drive where Windows is installed. If you are refering to the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folders in the Windows directory then i beleive as anawrocki says they can be deleted, but then you will not be able to uninstall them. (Well without restoring those directories anyway)

thanks porkchopexpress. If i'm not sure if it's cool or not, can i save the uninstall files somewhere else and delete them, and then if i need it, restore them to the same location??

Yes, you may move these $NtServicePackUninstall$ files to another location. These are strictly for 'rollback' purposes and may be deleted or moved at any time. If I find myself running out of System Partition space, I will move them to a Dated Directory on another partition and permanently remove these directories every 6 months or so.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

(I do what I can with what I know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back