Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunei

MIS
Oct 10, 2000
US
I've searched all over and have not found any mention of this problem with Exchange SP2.

I have W2K SP2 with Exchange SP1, Norton Corp Ed 7.6, Norton for Exchange 2.5. I ran SP2 for Exchange and it installed fine. However, when I restart the computer the Exchange System Attendant, MTA Stacks, and Information Store do not automatically start. I can start them manually just fine though. The only mention of anything out of the ordinary in the Application log is that the Metabase Update agent failed to start and that the Metabase Update service failed to start.

Anyone else seen this?

Make sure Norton Corp Ed 7.6 does not scan anything with Exchange. Don't let it touch anything in the Exchsrvr folder or the M drive.

Is this a do-it-all server? Basically the whole domain on a box? DC/GC/DNS/Exchange all on one box. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I've actually even gone as far as deleting both Norton applications and the same errors show up. I read something on Microsoft's site about uninstalling IIS, reinstalling IIS, reinstalling Exchange and everything should work. I tried it and came up with the same errors.

You are correct in that this is a do-it-all server.

It just happens...

You can set MS Exchange System Attendant to depend on Netlogon and it "should" fix the problem on the do-it-all servers. Dan

I Have the same problem with SP2, I read something in the MS site about SP1 that said to uninstall NAV BEFORE install SP1. I do it and works. So:
1. Uninstall NAV
2. Reapply SP2
3. Verify that's all OK
4. Reinstall NAV
Remember to use the same account to Exchange services and NAV, if you still have problems verify in the services if the accounts are the same. I have to changes manually since the exchange uses Localsystem, and NAV a Domain\Administrator.

We see this on boxes without NAV but let me know how it turns out. Dan

Hi,
I have the same problem. This is not a all in one server. Is there a fix for this issue. My Exchange server 2000 is down due to the system attendand is not starting. Please help

We had a similar problem, it turned out that the medabase was corrupted. That prevented the IISAdmin from launching properly. The solution was to uninstall IIS and Exch and reinstall them. It worked. Q312430

The thread stated "I can start them manually just fine though."

If your not responding to that symptom please start a new thread.

As I said before this can happen on do-it-all servers. Dan

We've finally figured this out. It seems that the Primary DNS needed to be set to the IP address of itself. Once we did that everything booted up fine. Same thing with SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back