Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Service Pack 2 Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

flex411

ISP
Jun 20, 2001
US
Hello. I just did the recommended steps for a service pack 2 deployment. I extracted the service pack in a shared folder. Under Software installation in GPO I made a new package and pointed it to the msi file //server/servicepack/update.msi. And now the computers are restarted and some had service pack 2 to begin with so I’m not sure if it will be reinstalled? And most importantly, how do I know the service pack was implemented correctly on all computers? Do I need to remove the new package I just made?

I don't think you can remove the package as it will try to uninstall, i'm not certain there tho.

So, should i remove the package after i know everyone has service pack 2? I mean i dont want the computers to start up and check if they have service pack 2 or not every time they start? or do i? or is that not how it works?

Sorry I was posting the saem time you were on that second one. I downloaded that program, it works well. The only thing I'm having trouble with is, it doesn't tell me if my package was used to install service pack 2, it just says wheteher it has service pack 2. Im looking for somthing like maybe a log file that says this computer downloaded and installed this package?

or maybe something where if it isnt installed, and an error or something. the only reason im asking is becasue my computers arnt showing as having service pack 2?

Hmm, when we were ready we crated a group policy to DL an Install all Criticals and SP2 was included.

flex411 I’ve never installed a service pack using an MSI before but we do distribute quite allot of software that way, it won't spend much time checking when the PC boots it's literally milli seconds. My clients have about 20 MSI's applied in various OU's and they check for about two seconds. I believe it only checks for changes to the allocation list, I’m not certain of that though.

you need to make sure that all the xp pc's you want sp2 applied to are in a ou with the software deployment setting applied too, and you will know when a pc has sp2 applied 2 ways, it will take half an hour to boot whenits applying it, it will say installing managed software sp2 and likely hood is that the pc will lose some network connectivity as the firewall will be enabled,unless you set another policy to turn that off

Hi Mturner, i take it from your post that you have distributed SP2 via MSI, can you tell flex411 if the MSI can be removed from the software policy once the SP has been installed or will this attempt to remove it as with a usual MSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back