Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Servers running hot, but not always. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylva

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2002
US
Hi y'all!

Funny things happen with my servers, Athlon 900/K7VZA MoBo's. When in Windows 98, they'r running hot at 62 degrees centigrade processor core temperature. Nothing that I can do about it.

Now, switch to Win 2000 Server. While working away at tasks, typing, administering, graphics, etc., the machines run at a prisitine 32-36 degrees C. But if I go away and do nothing on them for about 30 minutes, they get back up to > 60 C.

Now switch to Linux. The machines not only don't exhibit any variation in temperature, on the contrary, they're running absolutely cold, at about room temperature, steady between 22-26 C.

Measurements were taken with VIA's 4in1 MoBo utility software.

Any ideas?

Yours faithfully John.

If you subscribe to the theory that linux is more efficient and doesn't work the processor as hard then that MIGHT explain some of the variance from Windows.

I'd be more inclined to guess that either
1) The coincidence is a fluke and you have some sort of fan problem,
or
2) the Windows software is doing something to your BIOS and telling it to run fans when busy working and shutoff fans as a powersaving feature during idle time. Never really experienced your problem and I might be full of crap.

Just another reason to run linux? ;-)

TheDaver:

Thanks for the suggestions.

The first I don't think happens, for the processor fan runs at better than 6500 rpm when the processor heats up. The two box fans are also running at full capacity. When the temperature is normal, the processor fan runs at 5300 rpm.
Too, with Linux on, I am running the servers continuously and no heatup ever happens.

The second, BIOS at al, is more plausible and I'll take a hard look.

One more reason to run Linux? Well, its features and behavior are getting better all the time. The only thing is we do not really know what built-in flaws it has since it's not yet bombarded by viruses. Having been designed with security in mind, I hope it'll prove itself better than Windows at this chapter.

John.

Well, thing is you're not only NOT full of crap, but you were right on the money.

I went into control panel\power options. On the Power Schemes tab I switched from Always On to Minimal Power Management in the Power Schemes pulldown. Everything is all right now.

John.

OK,

As I said, things are going well. When I work on my Win2000 Servers, there is a slight reversal of the situation experienced in my first description, that is, the temp is climbing, but never over 42 C core, which is quite tame.

Linux is running cold, at room temps.

But I can't seem to do anything about the heat in Win98.
Beats me, I don't get it.

Yer, John.

Another Q:

Is anyone running this combination (or anything similar) on the same disk?

Win98 in first partition + SuSE 8.2 and Debian 3.0r2 in the extended partition.

Can't make SuSE's GRUB work with Debian's LILO.

Thanks, John.

Hello, Stefan.

Being an eternal experimenter, I thought trying to work the two together. So far I'm out of luck. But whith LiLo they work quite well.

I know that in 9.0 SuSE has legalized their Win Modem drivers. I also know they already had these drivers out in 8.2 but don't know what files I have to compile with the kernel. Do you? Does anyone?

Vielen dank, John.

Oh, and good luck on your job search.

There is only one MBR, so the program which writes latest to it succeeds.
Did you think of something like that:
Code:
--pseudocode: -/lilo.conf
#include </dev/hdf4/etc/grub.conf>
---
?
No - not implemented.
And being a very critical topic, I guess it's a good decision to have everything defined at one place.

Start a new thread for a new topic (modems).
And don't expect us to have 100 versions of 10 distributors.
Of much interest is here, which kernel the distros came with. From 2.4 to 2.6 there is a big change!

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Stefan,

I am not at coding yet. Yours helps, since I had C in college and I became sort of half adept at it. Shell writing will come, but I still have to tend to my Windoze obligations.

I've been told about the modem drivers by someone who had a a linux tech website, but who and where has faded in my memory. I'll dig more and let you know if there's something that's known to certain people only, by fiat from SuSE themselves (said in more popular terms "from the horse's mouth").

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back