Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServerRAID Manager Versions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmen

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2004
US
All,

I have several Windows 2000 servers all built at different times. Because it was built at different times, I have different versions of ServerRAID Manager installed. My latest version is 7.1. Can I just uninstall the older ones and install this version without affecting anything? Does the version installed with the Server Guide affect this? Thank you.

DMen

If you are talking about servraid manager installing in the OS then the version does not really matter. It runs totally independent of the version of bios/firmware that your raid card is. As a matter of fact you can run servraid manager and not even have a raid card installed at all. It will just tell you there is no controller when you start it.

But to answer your question, yes you would have to uninstall the current version before you can install the new version. It will tell you to uninstall it if you try to install it and have a lower version already on.

Thank you very much. I will proceed with my unistalls and reinstalls.

DMen

I do not agree. If your versions of driver / software / manager / firmware are not matched you will have MAJOR PROBLEMS we have had in the past. We ended up having one x350 blue screening in a constant cycle of reboot until we booted it into DOS and erased RaidSrv.exe or whatever it was called (the serveraid service).

This happened because the controller had firmware 7.10 with the Windows driver installed, or some such mix. Make sure all your s/w matches.

Use IPSSEND to confirm this

# ipssend getconfig 1

Regards
Vlad

I actually installed the v7 on all my servers before your post. So far no problems. All servers are running W2K.

Thanks for the help.

DMen

Version matching is only an issue with driver and firmware. Rule of thumb should be that ServeRAID Manager is a higher version number than the driver/fw. You should be using 8.25.

scsiraid are both correct drivers and firmware need to be matched i have had problems with this in the past you need to update the drivers before you up date the firmware

If you upgrading minor versions in ServerRad Manager it should not affect anything (IE 8.2 to 8.25, etc) and I have generally not had any issues updating within same version (7.x, etc) but I do update my servers with every second IBM Express Update CD which will update almost all server components to latest version.

I do recommend the use of the IBM Express Update CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back