Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServeRAID BIOS version VERSUS ServeRAID Application version 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorbinMyMan

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
US
I just upgraded my x225 Series with a ServeRAID-6i card. I had to download the lastest firmware and bios from IBM site, but I've noticed something:

My Controllers BIOS and FIRMWARE version are 7.10.23 and my DEVICE DRIVER version is 7.10.18
Also the ServeRAID Manager Version is 7.10.18

Will this eventually cause problems? I'm having trouble finding serveRAID current version on ibm's site, mostly because I'm not sure whats fully compatible with my 6i card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So this will work with the 6i? the 8.0 is kinda throwing me off

And one more thing, can i upgrade the firmware/bios/drivers on a 5i controller already configured (i have a 5i and a 6i)? The drives on the 5i already have the OS installed and what not. Can i update without data loss?

Thanks again for all you're help!

SRM 8 is a cumulative release which supports all the older cards.

Yes... you can updated BIOS/FW without data loss as long as you arent at an ancient code level (which you dont seem to be).

The 6i can support I belive all firware versions.But you can check in the readme.txt file to see a full list of supported raid cards.

And you can upgrade the 5i with data on it but if it is not affecting the performance of the server I would leave it be for protection of data because some times the raid controllers react different. I would be careful upgrading to OS side of the driver to make it match the BIOS/FW because this will blue screen if done wrong and and have not seen away to fix it after that happens. But a mismatch in OS driver and BIOS/FW doses not cause any problems that I have seen if you dont have a far gap.

I use this web site for all my IBM server downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back