Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serveraid BIOS not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcasanovas

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2002
ES
Hi there,

I've got a question, I was trying to update an old serveraid that I found (serveraid 3h) I downloaded the 4.84 Serveraid version from the IBM webpage but when I'm trying to update it in the IBM ROM update program it appears the following message:

Status = Disabled

Serveraid BIOS not found.
Attempting to flash BIOS/Firmware on the first good controler.

The update Failed.

Please can anyone help me to flash this card? is there any recovery utility from IBM (like one for to reset the BIOS and let me update it without any problem?)

Thanks a lot.

It is possible to down flash the card by entering Ctrl+F at the BIOS flash menu. If your adapter has the battery module I would not flash it beyond 4.84 for now. Now for the problem.

1st In order to flash to 4.x or later, the current flash level on the adapter must be at 3.x or later. If your adapter is currently below 3.x this is or is part of the problem and you must flash it to 3.5 first. The files are still available from IBM at their download site "US&page=brand&brand=root&doctype=&subtype=Cat&up=none ". Version 5.11 is the current level but you will find 4.84 and 3.50 there as well.

2nd be sure you do not have any resource conflicts. If you have any non-PCI adapters remove them or lock the resources , IRQ, IO address, etc. in CMOS. Usually in Legacy Resources or PCI control. Problem is, at each cold boot PCI assigns resources and the old adapters cannot be sensed so you have to do the job manually. If you do not, you may have your ServeRAID, or any other PCI adapter, using the same IRQ as your ISA/EISA sound card, etc.

3rd use the Ctl+I when the BIOS frame appears during POST to be sure the adapter is working properly. Go to Advanced settings and Initialize Config (Set adapter Defaults). At this point all installed devices should appear, CDR for CD-ROM, TAP for tape drives and RDY for HD. If HDs are attached and they don't show up as RDY you have a problem with the drive, signal cable, power cable, hot swap backplane (if you have one) or the adapter.

4th On some older systems the system does not like the way the ServeRAID is flashed and corrups the flash going to the adapter. At this stage the adapter is toast unless you can downflash it on a newer system and then apply the 4.48 flash.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back