Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServeRAID 5i, 6i, and x225 8647 and 8649

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorbinMyMan

Technical User
Feb 4, 2005
US
Here's the situation:

I have a x225 Series 8647 thats currently down (not needed) and I'm trying to configure it with RAID-5. So my hardware vendor sends me 4 grand worth of scsi hard drives for me to configure RAID-5, only to find out my 8647 can only handle RAID-1 with its retail hardware. So I call my hardware vendor back and he tells me I can order a new ServeRAID-6i card (500 bucks), install it, and I can then configure it RAID-5. WRONG, the 8647 isn't compatible with the ServeRAID-6i, which I found out much too late after getting my 6i and installing it. The 8647 is only compatible with the ServeRAID-5i, which I have but its in a (get this) x225 8649 server... which is compatible with the 6i card.

Now the 8649 is a server thats up and running, i think the only reason the old IT guy (he made a mess) put a 5i card in my 8649 is for the tape backup drive in it (which we don't even use backup on it). I want to take the 5i card out of 8649 and replace it with the 6i card since its compatible. Problem is I cannot take it down (very long) as it is our CRM server. It has the 5i card I need in it, and it is compatible with the 6i card I currently have.

The question I really have is, what will it take to replace the 5i with a 6i in the 8649 server that i need up and running, and will the data on it be spared since I do need it up and running.

Sorry if this is confusing, and thanks for taking the time to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back