Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServeRAID 3L and SCSI drives problem. HELP !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkes

Technical User
May 8, 2005
ES
Hi, folks.

I have and IBM Netfinity 5000 Server (8659-31Y) with a ServeRAID 3L. Originally I was installed 3xUSCSI hard drives IBM, P/n: 9L9006-036, model ST39103LC. System works fine and no problems instead.
Recently I was added two IBM hard drives: P/N: 59H6600 (SCSI SE) and 25L1972, model DNES-318350 (SCSI LVD/SE). During serveRAID POST, system gives next message when disk are connected:
- "2 online drives found with incorrect configuration (not responding or found at new location)". In the ServeRAID mini-configuration program, System recognizes both disks as StandBy mode. Extender messages are:

- Configuration mismatch channel 1 SCSI ID3 with host ID " "
- Configuration mismatch channel 1 SCSI ID4 with host ID " "

- 3 drives ready at channel 1 SCSI ID 2, 3 and 4

Controller status codes: ISPR=EF10 BCS=03 ECS=03

- With IBM ServeRAID support CD (manager), controller gets warning in both drives: Possible not warranted physical drive. 0 Mb of capacity were found.

- The same behaviour was observed when these drives were connected alone (with no more drives attached) or one by one.

Original drives was not any jumper connected, ID jumpers are jumperless. But I detect the new drives has the same ID in the same channel than the original drives.

Questions are:

* Does ServeRAID 3L supports these new drives?
* How must I to configure new drives for working fine and together with original drives? Any jumper must be set (ID, terminator, etc.)?

Thanks.

OK... so without the two extra drives... all is ok.. right? Now with the two extra drives... you are getting a configuration mismatch. This means that the two extra drives also contain configuration information that the controller recognizes but doesnt match what it believes the proper configuration is. Hit the key that says something like dont accept the config change and take the 'offending drives offline'. I dont remember the exact wording. This should set the two extra drives dead or offline (dont remember which). You can then go into serveraid manager and set the state of the two drives to ready state and use them however you wish.

In all cases that I tested, drives persist to Standby mode with a warning alert. 0 Mb are detected. I have tested with all possible jumpers configuration, but I didn´t able to making works.

I was thinking about BIOS release of the ServeRAID (actual is 7.10.28), but I'm afraid there's no new release instead.

What do you think about?

Thanks.

What does 'persist to Standby mode' mean? What does ServeRAID Manager boot CD indicate that the drive state is? You can use SRM to set the state of the drives to RDY.

Perhaps you don't understand me or my last explanation were not good. Let's see:

a) Post ServeRaid messages (Configuration mismatch).
b) Skip the proposed options as you told me.
c) ServeRAID 7.10b boot cd: Boots itself from Linux and loads ServeRAID manager.
d) ServeRAID Manager: In controller status, there are 5 disks: 3 ready and 2 (the new ones) with yellow warning icon alert: Possible not warranted disk for each one.
e) Right click over these disks: There is no option for change to on-line status. No defunct disk state anyone.
f) Capacity detected for them: 0Mb.
g) Same behaviour is observed with only new disks connected.

I'm thinking about terminators or similar....

What SRM is?

Thanks !!!!

Hi,

I read your thread. I'm having a same problem with my 3L.
The maximum Bios for this card must be 6.10.24. The firmare level ain't going that hi. So you must down grade the card.

Cheers,

Ben

most of the time when new drives are put in they show up with a green + sign. try removing the ! icons ones are do a scan for new or ready drives. See if that works. Or if you dont need the information on the orginal drives you can reset the card back to factory defaults.

Eric
Whirlpool Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back