Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ServeRAID 3L and SCSI disk problem. HELP !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkes

Technical User
May 8, 2005
ES
Hi, folks.

I have and IBM Netfinity 5000 Server (8659-31Y) with a ServeRAID 3L. Originally I was installed 3xUSCSI hard drives IBM, P/n: 9L9006-036, model ST39103LC. System works fine and no problems instead.
Recently I was added two IBM hard drives: P/N: 59H6600 (SCSI SE) and 25L1972, model DNES-318350 (SCSI LVD/SE). During serveRAID POST, system gives next message when disk are connected:
- "2 online drives found with incorrect configuration (not responding or found at new location)". In the ServeRAID mini-configuration program, System recognizes both disks as StandBy mode. Extender messages are:

- Configuration mismatch channel 1 SCSI ID3 with host ID " "
- Configuration mismatch channel 1 SCSI ID4 with host ID " "

- 3 drives ready at channel 1 SCSI ID 2, 3 and 4

Controller status codes: ISPR=EF10 BCS=03 ECS=03

- With IBM ServeRAID support CD (manager), controller gets warning in both drives: Possible not warranted physical drive. 0 Mb of capacity were found.

- The same behaviour was observed when these drives were connected alone (with no more drives attached) or one by one.

Original drives was not any jumper connected, ID jumpers are jumperless. But I detect the new drives has the same ID in the same channel than the original drives.

Questions are:

* Does ServeRAID 3L supports these new drives?
* How must I to configure new drives for working fine and together with original drives? Any jumper must be set (ID, terminator, etc.)?

Thanks.

It sounds like the "new" drives were previously part of an array from somewhere else. My recommendation to "fix" this problem are to disconnect your "real" HDDs from the controller, and connect only the new HDDs. First, using the IBM HDD firmware update CD, flash the HDDs to the current version of firmware. Next, boot to the ServeRAID CD, and select "Restore to factory defaults". This will clear the existing configuration from the HDDs. Then shutdown and remove the HDDs and reconnect the original HDDs. Boot, select Ctrl+I and import the configuration from HDDs. Then add the new HDDs. From ServeRAID Manager, you can configure the new HDDs.

Could you please give me the exact access to IBM HDD firmware update cd? I'm not been able to locate for myself.
I'm very gratefull if you could help me again.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back