Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server.Transfer, window,location and PWS? Oh, and connection strings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuCOng

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
I'm trying to use Server.Transfer on a redirection page using PWS at home (my site is in dev before being transfered to IIS machines).

The page checks to see if the username exists in the database and then redirects to the appropriate page ("name in use" or "account created"). I want to use Server.Transfer but I get the error "Transfer does not exists in object" or something.
The other way of doing it is to use request.form to get teh username, insert it into a hidden text field, check for a duplicate in the databse, then compare the results and redirect accordingly using all using JavaScript. Too long. Server.Transfer and a couple of IFs would be much more elegant.

IS this error PWS specific? Does PWS not support Server.Transfer? How else can I change the window's location in ASP?

Lastly, can I create my website linked to the DB at home and then copy it to the servers in a fullu funtional form by just changing the connection strings to the appropriate format for the IISs and not my root directory?

Help would be most appreciated.

Server.transfer is for sending control to another ASP file, for processing, for redirection use Response.Redirect.

This should all be one step - the name and password are entered, and the action page does the data checking, then redirection, certainly no JavaScript involved. You may Transfer control to another ASP during the data verification of course.

AS far as uploading goes, yep it's pretty much like that, you will have a procedure given to you by your domain host, for setting up the datasource, so then you just change the argument in your open method - very simple.

If you have particular questions in future, stick in a bit of code, it helps determine hat your question is ;-)
bj

Server.Transfer only came out with IIS 5.0 ... I don't think PWS has that ability in it (unless they've made a newer version of PWS that I don't know about ... which is always possible)

-Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back