Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masali

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
SE
Hello!

I am having problems moving all my files (100gb+) from my old dedicated server to my new dedicated server. Is there any good way to move these files as quickly and smoothly as possible? I have FreeBSD on old server and Red Hat on new. Is it better to tar the files first? But the problem is that I only have 30 GB left on my old server.

Please advice

Masali

tar/gzip 25GB of files. Move to new server using, say, scp. delete the .tar.gz file on old server. Repeat 4 times.

azzazzello might be right if your disk is partitioned with all the free space in one partition.

If you trust the network in between, you can use an rsync command to simply copy the files by folder hierarchy. rsync is very good at verifying the data on the recipient end if you ask it to do so. The beauty of rsync too is that you can just leave it running and it will take care of the "thinking". Finally, rsync incurrs no further (meaningful) disk usage on the old server, unlike tar/gzip and move approach.

Different approach, same net result.

FINALLY, if your disk controllers support it, you could simply physically disconnect the drive from the old server and plug it into the new server and mount the partitions to do the copy on the same box. This doesn't really fly if your old server uses RAID.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

i am not to good in linux.. how do i do that?

/Masali

thedaver, rsync seems to be the best solution. But i have rsync installed only on the new server, is that a problem? Also i don't know how to use it...

I would like to move everything in /home from old server to /oldserver on the new server. (recursively, and verified). How would i do that? What command should i use?

on the new server:
Code:
cd /oldserver
ssh oldserver tar cf - /home | tar xvpf - 
mv home/* .
rmdir home

Use rsync. It will copy all data from directory to directory with no problems. I use it to run backups of 500gb+ and it runs great. Rsync will make and exact copy of the data on your old machine to your new machine, you should look into it.

Ed

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

Way to read the thread.
But i have rsync installed only on the new server, is that a problem? Also i don't know how to use it...
I guess none of those certifications actually required paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back