Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server timeout error in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopworker

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
US

Task 'Michael Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Downloading all items.' reported error (0x800CCC19) : 'A timeout occurred while communicating with the server.'

When using Outlook I keep getting the above message when I try to check email using Hotmail.

The settings in Outlook do not allow me to change any of the time out settings.

You can set the timeout within the Account properties... (Tools->Accounts, then your account) under the Advanced tab...

i have also experienced that some isp's dont ork very well using there normally proxie settings with hotmail and can have a problem gaining access due to the timed out error you could try specifying a proxie fromn one of the ones your isp uses and this normally solves hotmail isues the same happens for treansferring pics to ebay and getting on yahoo mail

eds2003 - you cannot increase the timeout by using the Account properties in Outlook. Thanks for trying though.

sa1boy - could you possibly send me more detailed instructions as to how to do this?

"Note: You can't change the server timeout for an HTTP e-mail account."

That's what Microsoft say in there Outlook 6 Help

internet explorer>
tools>
internet options>
conections>
lan settings (if you are using broadband)>
settings(if dial up)>
put a tick in use a proxie server>
enter a proxie that our isp allows
will normally be in the form of
inktomi2 dub-server.ntl.com
your isp will provide you with a list of all the proxies that they use
This will also solve the problem of not being able to go to secure sites and uploading pictures to the like of ebay
You might also want to see if when you goto your mail through webmail is there a particularly large email there if so then if you can delete it and you may find that all that is wrong is a clogged outpoint for your mail that has now been freed good luck
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back