Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server stuck in reboot loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZDave

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
US
NT 4.0 server w/ SP6a.

When booting it gets to the blue screen where it shows processor info, and service pack level. Then it flashes briefly what looks to be a memory domp, and starts the process all over.

It would do this all day if I let it.

I tried running a repair, or even re-installing the OS over itself, and it tells me that the Hard Drive can't be found. I have loaded the SCSI drivers when I start the setup process.

Any help would be appreciated.

What did you install or do before you rebooted? What is the newest install on the server prior to the reboot?

Hi

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 317189

Under the Session Manager key, note and then delete any PendingFileRenameOperations entries.

Husky62

hi,
are you sure the drivers (scsi adapter [+disk] )you install before (during) setup, are the same you used the 1st time you istalled the machine ?

What hw you have ?

If yes, I suppose there is an HW problem (seen also the
blue screen during normal boot )

bye

Thnaks for you replies, but I d/l'd updated drivers for the SCSI card, and was able to run repair.

Dave,

It's possible you are loading your SCSI drivers at the wrong point. I've run into this with some Compaq hardware. If you go through the setup and install the drivers when it prompts for them it then tells you it can't find a disk.

What you have to do is just as the setup starts, I believe it's when the screen first goes blue and the text appears, you have to hit F5. This will let you load the SCSI drivers right away. This is the only way to get some SCSI raid controllers to work. After you load your drivers, just do a very minimal NT install into a new folder, say C:\winnt2.

When you reboot you should have the start menu duped. Pick the third line, it will be a dupe of the first line, to start the new copy of Windows NT. Once this new copy boots up you can check for a Drwatson log or other dump file that might give you a clue how to repair the original install.

Since you installed the second copy to a different folder you may be able to repair the first copy, reboot and then pick the first option on the startup menu to start the old NT.

Chris

just a thought, but I had a mchine that did a similar thing with 2000. The BIOS overheating cutoff was set a little on the low side.

I would see if u can boot up in vga mode. If it lets you, go to the startup tab and uncheck "automatic reboot."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back