Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordmathos

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hi all I am planning to implement a server 2008 r2 domain within the company.

We have approx 5000-6000 users.

The server will contain AD DS, DNS and maybe DHCp.

What CPU and ram would you recommend for throughput?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

First, I'd highly recommend that you deploy at least two servers for redundancy.

Secondly, unless those 5000-6000 users are all in the same site, I'd recommend adding a DC/DNS server for each site.

What are you doing with your company's existing DNS authentication and DNS infrastructure? Does it need to be integrated or is it being replaced?

How are these DCs going to be used? Will they be used simply for login authentication and scripts, or will third-party applications be using them for authentication and directory lookup?

Do you have a need for read-only DCs?

There are loads of questions that you need to work through before deciding how robust each of your DCs should be. Generally speaking, using AD for simple authentication and DNS isn't that resource intensive.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Hi we are planning on 2 dc's minimum per site.

The existing ad/dns infrastructure will eventually be replaced.

We are planning on implementing a read only dc into a small office.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Im not being funny, but for someone managing a 5-6K seat IT infrastructure, I wouldnt expect a person of that nature to be asking these sorts of questions in a forum and you would have a team of dedicated IT staff to do this?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Theres nothing wrong with asking other peoples opinions and better to get all available information. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back