Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server slows, then hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarpintero

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
ES
We are now having the next problems

Users are experiencing two different problems, sometimes the connection can be done and the user can log on but the process “loading your personal settings” can’t be completed. Other times when the user tries to connect the screen gets white (literally white).

On the other hande, working on the console directly, after log on the profile takes time to be loaded. Once it’s loaded the refresh of the screen is slow but all the applications works, and finally the server hangs up. And when I try to log on with another administrator user the server hangs up too.

We are using Metaframe XP on W2K, clients are W2K also.

What sort of applications are you serving on your MetaFrame server? Sounds like a memory leak. We ran into the same basic issue on a "home grown" application, got the developers to investigate, recompiled and all is well.

Are you using roaming or mandatory (or both) profiles? - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Thank's for your prompt answer.

The applications are commercial ones (Office, some Unix emulators, etc.) but we even have the problems at connection time: to connect takes several minutes (10 min)

The profiles are roaming, size 620 Kb (average).

If it was a memory leak we should have been something in the performance monitor, and we see nothing. Even more, the server has 2GB RAM, and we are only connecting. There should be room enought.

By the way, there are two idle ICA connections with two processes each: csrss and winlogon. They are alway there. Is that normal? (we're somehow new on Citrix) We are not able to kill them.

any other clue?
Thanks

Is this on a WAN/Dial-up connection or on the local LAN?

The two idle sessions are "listeners" and cannot be deleted, although you can add more. Their purpose is to await a login attempt from a client.

Your profiles are good and small, but the extended login time is very unusual. Check mapped drive settings - do your users have the correct permissions for network resources, eg shared drives?

I hope this helps

We are experiencing the problem on both, LAN and WAN connections (no Dial-up). Even more, we are having the same problem connecting to the console.

And we are having the same problems for users not accessing network resources and local profiles.

In the meantime we have installed Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 without any better behavior.

Regards.

I would suspect some form of name resolution or remote procedure call timeouts.

Check your DNS servers - the reverse lookup tables as well as the lookup tables. The ICA Browser depends heavily on DNS for name resolution.

Check that the server that does authentication and the server that holds roaming profiles has the correct permissions on shared directories.

You may also wish to investigate the MaxWorkItems registry setting on one or more of your fileservers.

I say investigate, because there are several documents on this setting to address many different issues. You can also severly aggravate network issues by getting this setting wrong - so be careful!

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back