Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server security problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jymm

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
US
ok - so this may not be the best forum to put this one - but it is RS that is having the problem

For many reasons our server admin promoted one of the SQL servers to also be a domain controller... then a few days later she demoted it (again - many reasons).

somewhere in the whole scheme of things RS stopped working on this server. I know that it was working before the whole promotion/demotion process.

After the whole thing she had to give one of the automated users some security that they had before the whole process.

SO - I am pretty sure that it is an issue with security even though the error I get is 'The report server is not responding. Verify that the report server is running and can be accessed from this computer.'

services are all running just fine and I can run the reports from Visual Studio just fine as well - so I am perplexed.

What I am looking for is a way to run the RS config process again so that it would create /update all of the security needs for RS that may have been destroyed in the whole promotion/demotion process. Or maybe there is another way... I know that yesterday I had seen that certain SQL RS users (the one that has the server name in it) were not looking like they should when you checked the properties of certain folders on the server (not through RS).

THoughts?

Visual Studio and RS are two different things they might connect to the same database but that's it.

if the services is running check that a domain Admin user is actually running such service.

another thing worth checking is if IIS is still working properly, sometime stop and re-start serviceces can do a lot aof good

-Mo

yeah - I know all about VS & RS differences - I just wanted to be sure that we knew that it was not another issue I have read about...

anyway

the same account that is running RS & IIS on the other SQL servers here is on this server and is the one that is runnign those services.

very interesting...

try and log from SQL server and see if you get the same problem

-Mo

sql and this IIS / RS box are the same physical box...

so server1 has SQL, IIS, RS and all is well

server2 has same config but RS is the only piece that is not working... even though it was working prior to the promotion/demotion...

other ideas?

I've encountered a problem with RS and AD, something to do with when you first install RS on a machine with AD it inserts a set of encryption keys, however if you remove AD later, the keys remain and your RS will forever think that you don't have enough permissions.

The fix was to go into the registry and clear out several encrypted key values.

Maybe a similar thing is happening here as well.

It would probably be safer to just re-install SSRS

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

if that's the case you can remove those keys from RS Manager

-Mo

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything

ok - sorry if this is a dumb question - how do I JUSTT re-instal RS? It was installed as part of SQL ... the config is all green, so I am confused.

Hey Crowley - that is EXACTLY what I am thinking, but I do not know which keys to nuke - you get a memory of that or a suggestion on how to just get those users to 're do'?

you could try nuking all of them...

as for reinstalling, you can uninstall and reinstall individual components of SQL Server seperately, if you goto add/remove and uninstall sql server, at some point, you should be able to select just the reporting services component to remove...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back