Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server room question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fathead

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2002
I need to insulate a server room for sound. I installed 2 Poweredge 2800 servers in a fairly small server room along side a SCO box. The door leads out to a busy hallway and the customer is complaining about the noise...it's pretty loud. Has anyone used something to help insulate the back side of a door or something under the servers?

When I was a child my father used to take me on his gardening jobs. One of his clients had a small shed in his backyard which his son used as a recording studio. I remember all the walls and ceilings of that room were lined with the bottoms of egg cartons. My dad explained that the non flat surface helped bounce the sound around and dissipate the noise.

If no one else makes a good suggestion maybe you could give my idea a try.

I would first make sure that the door is airtight, but make sure your room still has ventilation. If that doesn't work then give the egg cartons or a layer of foam with bumps a try.

You can buy spiky foam to stick on the walls which is what recording studios usually use (should be plenty of places selling the stuff on the Internet for home studios), or use the egg-box trick above which works on the same principal (although it won't look very professional and might contravene fire regulations in your building etc.).

Both suggestions are good just remember that any fiberous material may flake off and be sucked into your servers. Products like cardboard are not even allowed on our server room floor for this reason. We are probably a bit overboard but over time you can see the build up on the system boards especially if you are in a small room. I would suggest something that won't become brittle and flake off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back