Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server restarts randomly! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnell

Technical User
May 15, 2009
US
Hello all,

The problem is this. I have a stand alone server that is connected to the internet through ISDN and outputs this connection to 5 computers on a network (workgroup configuration). The server restarts for no apparent reason, it just happens randomly but *only* when the internet is connected (I believe but I could be wrong).

As you can imagine, this is a serious problem which I have never had before. Please help if possible. I have SP2 installed with the latest critical updates.

Many thanks in advance and God bless,

Luke O'Connell

I do realise that but it is outside of my control. There are no viruses, as I have both run a virus checker and reinstalled the server several times over however the event viewer is a different story.

It contains a message which multiply comes from different sources beginning 'The server was unable to register the administration tool discovery information.

I do not think this is of relevance however I am unfamiliar with it and as we all know, a server with no error reporting would be a fine one indeed.

Luke

A few more questions. Is this server on an internal network or is it only connected to the ISDN?
If it is connected to an internal network, are you sharing your internet connection?

A few things. Uninstall all NIC drivers and utilities that bind to the NIC. Reboot and reinstall newer versions downloaded from the internet, install and test out your isdn connection.

Another possibility is the internet sharing. If you disable internet sharing, do you have the same issues???

Spacecadet2010

One thing to check is you are not having any blue screens, this could be for number of reasons.

Right click my computer and goto the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery check to see if Automatically Reboot is checked.

If this is the case, this will not solve your problem but will enable you to see the BSOD error message.

Something to check,

Hope this helps.

My 2000 server does this occassionally, I have found that it is a problem with the Alcatel (dsl) modem and my VIA chipset.
It happens 1/2 times/week, I can live with it until alcatel produce a more stable driver.
Only a suggestion, hope it directs you to an solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back