Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server requires SMTP change on every reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xunil

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
GB
As per thread title, we have a SBS box in Holland that we use with Wanado.

The server reboots every night as part of its backup routine and each morning SMTP doesn't work.

We have to change the SMTP from wanado.nl to orange.nl (same company now) after which any queued messages start to process normally.

The server usually operates fine for the remainder of that day, but the following morning after reboot, exactly the same problem appears.

I'm unsure at this stage whether an ISP issue is affecting the situation.

Any ideas from anyone on where I could make a start to resolve this ?

I'm surprised that you're rebooting everyday.... I wouldn't mind hearing why you think that's needed.

What SMTP setting are you referring to?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks for such a rapid reply.

The reboot is part of a nightly Ghost 8 backup and isn't something I have control over - I don't feel it's necessary at all, but there's not a lot I can do about that at present. This backup routine was set in place by someone onsite and I can't unplug or alter it to a more appropriate backup solution in the short term.

The SMTP settings are in Exchange System Manager | domain_name.com | Protocols | Queues

Unless we change the SMTP settings in there any queued emails just sit tight after a server reboot.

Go figure.

It's got me climbing the walls.

Darn it, I posted the wrong location in that last entry.

The SMTP settings that have to be changed after every reboot are in:

Exchange System Manager

>>

Connectors

>>

SmallBusiness SMTP connector

that's were we have to change the SMTP settings to get queued mail flowing again.

Sorry for the wrong information in that last reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back