Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server rename and Domain change

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMThomas

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2004
GB
I am running one Citrix Presentation Server Advanced with a local MSDE database.

Due to an infrastruture change I need to rename the server and move it to a new Domain. What is the easiest way to do this and any advice?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I have renamed citrix servers in the past without issue, the fun part may actually be the domain change.

You need to ensure a local admin has access to the citrix management consoles before removing it from the domain, then on joining the new domain all apps will have to be reconfigured to all the new security groups and users authorised to access the programs etc

Obviously this is not an exhaustive list, but just a few points worth mentioning..

I was thinking of any issues with security on the MSDE database etc.....

At the moment users are getting away with secutity permissions cross domain because of a trust between the domains and SID history in there new user accounts. But oviously this will go when it is moved!

hi,

for my opinion, I should build a fresh installation on the new domain, also in a virtualized environment: in this mode you can also test license server an if you need, require change to Citrix.

Using this 2nd server my help you to test the new env while the 1st is still in production, and maby it can help you (be in production) when you shutdown the 1st and rebuild it in new domain.

Someone can say that this is an expensive (in term of time) way, but the choice to change domain/name is not a your choice and this way "covers" you from responsabilities that are not yours. ;-)

Think the stress you will encounter, the day you make the change, without parachute ! [surprise]

ciao
vittorio

In the past, I was able to uninstall the presentation server component so it is no longer found during the discovery. Then you can rename the server and make sure it is tied to the farm after installing presentation server back up.

I have convinced my management to purchase a new server, so I wil set this up on the new Domain and re-install all the applications on it.

Full redundancy during the migration and a lot less stress!!

Thanks all for you help and advice.

FYI - I think it would basicall the same scenario if you moved your MSDE db. There is a basic procedure. (Documented on this forum) If you rename the server you would need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back