Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server removal problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles11816

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2003
US
I have a windows XP pro PC connect to our network with several servers running on the network – NT4, server 2000, and server 2003. The network is primarily a server 2000 domain running in mixed mode.

I wanted to remove an older server running NT4 from our network, so I turned it off. Immediately after the power down, a couple of users complained that their access to the file server was extremely slow. The file server in question is on a different server and running server 2000. The users are specifically complaining that when they use the “my computer” icon to open files or folders that it takes several minutes to open/ browse for files. Eventually the files do open. If the user opens excel first and navigates to the document, there is no problem. It is almost like when the user browses the network it is looking for the removed server. Anyone got any ideas on how the workstations slowness could be related to the server removal? This may be a dumb question but should I upgrade the NT4 server in question before I remove it from the domain? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Charles

I know it's may be a short in the dark, but I would disjoint the workstaion for the domain then rejoin the domain.

First reply :~ on tek tips ~ freeback welcome
I'm only a home user with a small DNS network

\\muos o(-_-)o

Thanks I will try that, but ----- I was wondering if this will help.

I did a netstat on the machine durring the 2-3 min to open excel and word documents. the following refers to the server --nt6300 that was shutdown, can someone shed some light on what these 2 lines mean?

TCP acct36:1102 nt6300.tha.org:microsoft-ds SYN_SENT
TCP acct36:1124 nt6300.tha.org:http SYN_SENT

somehow I think this is related since when I shutdown the server named nt6300 my problems start.

Thanks

Charles

I'm speculating but it could be a problem within your DNS configuration. I would check your DNS settings to be sure that the server you took offline isn't being looked up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back