Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smirnov

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
AU
Hello everybody!
I am looking for a Compaq server and i was wondering if anyone can recommend one based on the things i want.
I need 3 servers (1 SQL database, 2 webservers all win2k)
- rack mounted
- dual processors
- multiple RAID HDDs
- dual network cards
- redundant power supplies
The rest is up to you!!! Just a model number would be awesome thanks!!!
-scott...:)

DL380 G2, 1.266GH , up to 6 hard drives, Dual intergrated 10-100 intel nics, Dual Power , 5i ultra 160 intergrated array controler, 2u form factor

If you are going to have a lot of users connection to the SQL database I would use a DL580.

The DL580 could be used but is obviously much more expensive than a DL380. I suggest getting 3 x DL380's since I use them in the same environment with 2 x NC3123 nics', dual power supplies.
If you need maximum performance get a seperate array controller as well, since the integrated 5i isn't the best you can get. :)

(3) Dell PowerEdge 2550 2U RackMount's. Same config as DL380. A LOT cheaper. Much Prettier. Easier to rack.

We're doin' pretty much the same thing buying used DL380s off ebay simply to cut costs. 1ghz/128M/0disk units go for around $1200. Note that these are not the newest 2nd generation DL380s, but the first generation. You'd have to add the 2nd power supply, CPU and NIC, as well as memory and drives. It'll take 4 drives or if you buy the 2-drive cage option you can put six drives in it. It'll take 9, 18 or 36gig drives and Compaq told me 72gig as well but I've not confirmed that. Lastly, if you go this route watch out for refurbished units. The DL380 serial numbers start with a "D" but if Compaq has taken it back, refurbed and resold it they change the first letter of the serial number to a "R".

jzakora ,

Whats the noise level on those 2550 2u server from dell? Is it equivalent to a landing 747?

Inquiring Minds...

Social engineering, coupled with greed, is the easiest way to subvert any security!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back