Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeko

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2001
US
Hi all,

I need to rebuild our Data Server (WinNT 4.0 Server), which is also running Exchange 5.5 Server on a 20 Gig. H.D.D. I have purchased (2) 80Gig H.D.D. and a 3Ware Escalade Storage Controller (3W-6200). The 80 Gigabyte H.D.D. will mirror each other.

The 20 Gigabyte H.D.D. has 2 partitions; the C:\ drive has the NOS on it and the D:\ has all the Data on it. The C:\ only has 8% free space on it.

Is there a particular way in, which I need to transfer all of the Exchange Data Base? When I rebuild the NOS on the new drives, I will recreate all of the 12 users that logon to our domain. Will that conflict with how Exchange is setup?

Thanks,

Wait, before you begin anything, read the M$ info on moving exchange to a server with the same name (Q155216.) What you will need to do is note all the exchange locations, recreate the same drive partitions in the new system (number of them, NOT size) and install Exchange with the same Organization, Site, and Server names. Then you just overwrite the new empty database, with the full one that you've backed up and you are back in buisness.

Alex

I only have one server to work with and it's also the PDC, no BDC. Could I install the mirror and make the original H.D.D. a slave drive then transfer the exchange data over?

I was thinking of using Ghost 2002 to make a bootable back up image of the original H.D.D. just incase this doesn't workout.

Thanks for the input,

Yes, you can use the existing HD as a transfer method, but you cannot have this in the box when you setup Exchange. It must only see the two partitions it is going to get to work with. A ghost copy probably wouldn't hurt, but if you keep the old HD as a safety you already have the possibility to yank the mirror and put this back the way it was quickly. It may be possible, because you are only replacing the HDs, to ghost the two partitions, and then restore them to the mirror partitions. In this fashion you don't have to reinstall the OS and Exchange software.

Alex

Another option is to add the new disks to your existing server without making changes then run the Exchange optimiser and move the database to the new disk drive.

I would rather rebuild the NOS (WinNT 4.0) on the first partition of the mirror and just transfer the data (D:\)from the original drive to the second partition on the mirror.

is that what you were telling me?

thanks,

kinda - no need to rebuild the NOS, just add in the extra drives and run performance optimiser which will move the databases.

Then you don't get problems with Exchange set up.

I prefer to rebuild the OS when making major hardware changes (you are adding a RAID controller?) to an existing system. So follow Q155216 and when time comes to copy the databases, install the old HD, boot and stop exchange services, drag-n-drop the old databases to overwrite the new ones, then shut down, pull the old HD out, and reboot. Now run the cleanup tools (per Q155216) and you are ready.

Alex

I would prefer to rebuild the OS because there's a lot of crap on it and yes I am adding a RAID (3Ware Escalade).

I also had a problem with the "fixnimdaW32". After running it serveral times it screwed up everyone's rights. I had to give everyone "Admin" rights. It's a good thing I only support 15 users! Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you again for all the help!

neeko

I'll have to migrate everything to Linux/Samba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back