Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Rebuild: User Profile Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sKiBa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2004
GB
I need to get some advice with a server issue. We have two networks at different locations setup exactly the same. They are very simple, one DC running DNS, DHCP and IIS, there are maybe 5 different user accounts and 20 pc's 18 of them running on the same account. Last week I had to rebuild the server, now my problem was that when I tried to rejoin all of my pc's to the domain obviously there was no user profile so I had to create the domain user on each pc again, conifgure all the settings, screensavers, links, customising everything etc. on every pc that used this account, this took some time. I also had some ownership problems with my files, it kept telling me access was denied to grab info from the old profile.

Now I have to do this to our second location so what I want to know is is there an easier, less time consuming way to setup the pc's after their account has been remade. Hope that's clear enough. Any help much appreciated.

Didn't you have a backup of your network settings. You don't say if your running active directory.If you had you'd be able to resotre all the objects and accounts in active directory. This would give permssion to any accounts trying to join the domain.

I have a similar problem (server rebuild) see Migrating to new domain without loosing profiles

I have tried the solution provided in my thread, which involves copying all hidden and system files, and the result was pretty messy... however the user that gave me the instructions reported successfully migrating XP users this way.

So far the Files and Setttings migration wizard provided with XP and 2003 seems to be the only way of doing this but it takes a long time since it wants to compress all the files and settings... quite painfull when you have about 20 computers to do...

Any other hint would be very appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back