Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server reboots with no errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

spankyy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have a server that reboots for no reason. It has no errors in the event log, Dr Watson or mem dumps. I just get a notification it reboots. I have all the updates except SP4.

We had here the same problem, first we thought it's a virus due to a forgotten patch, one of the latest... but at the end it's a hardwarefailure. We changed ram, nothing did it. We still don't know what hardware part it was, we used that situation to finally got a new server.

Just to make sure it's not a virus, I re-installed all by scratsch on the now called "old-rebooter" server... after a few hours the crashes happened again...

Will be difficult to find the part which screws up to a reboot... It can be CPU, HDD-controler, MotherBoard, Ram.... everything.

Good luck

try to swap out power supply as well. reboots without corresponding event viewer errors like this are almost always hardware related.

Regards,
Lightspeed1

Try to take a good look at the server settings/server software. We experienced the same problem with one of our ProLiant Servers and found the option "Reboot on error" in one of the server system agents, we removed the option, and "Bingo" we got our error message in the event log/insight manager.

/Markus

must upgrade to sp4l, had the exact same problem with w2k server and 45 w2kpro workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back