Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server reboot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingboo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I have a windows 2000 sp3 server that is rebooting everytime I copy large files from it accross the network. It also happens if I try and burn a cd from a station with data that is on the server.....any idea?

it has a pentium3
768RAM

monitoring performance levels doesn't reflect any issues.

thank you everyone

okay --- tried it again from the server itself ---- I can copy large directories from the server to a station if I am logged on locally. However, if I try to move the same directory while at a workstation from the server to the same workstation --- no error messages on server and crashes.

I had an unstable Power Supply unit did that to me once. The unexpected reboot thing. Drove me crazy as it took months to figure it out, only when it finally died on me.

Nope -- it is IBM model 8478-50x. And I was wrong earlier on two things... one it is service pack 4 (other server is 3 right now) and second I played around with it a bit more and i AM able to get the machine to reboot even if I am logged on locally.

Does this happen EVERY time you try to copy a file or is it random (but frequent)? And is this the only time it locks up (when trying to copy a file or directory)? And you have plenty of HD space and RAM?

I had a similar problem that the server would randomly lock up when hitting against a SQL database. It turned out that either the motherboard or processor went bad (I replaced both at the same time). I agree with the others, start simple (NIC, RAM, ethernet cable, etc).

Just added another 512 MB RAM about two weeks ago and machine is performing at about 20% resources consumed. I have 4 GB space free on the HDD (8.5 GB total). It happens everytime I try and transfer large files. I will try and swap out the NIC soon..... could a bad NIC result in a system crash only when large files are transferred?

IBM Xseries200 --- leaking capicitors on the motherboard..... I swapped board / issue resolved.

<<known issue with model type>>

thanks again for everyone's help.

Thank you very much for the information!

I've had exactly the same problem with a customers server and have looked into every possible registry values without finding the problem.
Thanks to you I don't need to look any further!

Merry Christmas!!

// Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back