Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server reboot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingboo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I have a windows 2000 sp3 server that is rebooting everytime I copy large files from it accross the network. It also happens if I try and burn a cd from a station with data that is on the server.....any idea?

it has a pentium3
768RAM

monitoring performance levels doesn't reflect any issues.

thank you everyone

There is an option to automatically reboot in the event of a system failure.

Refer Mycomputer/properties/advanced/startupandrecovery

On this tab there is also an option to log errors to the System Event log. If this is on use the EventViewer to see if any clues have been logged.

Maybe this will help.

I had turned off automatic reboot on failure about three weeks ago and it is still ongoing. Also, the event viewer displays event id 6008 -> "The previous system shutdown was unexpected".

From what I have found so far there, there are many many many reasons that can cause 6008. But I have not been able to find anything in relation to my problem with copying files.

thank you for your help -=-- I hope I can figure this out soon.......

Ok this happens during high network activity.I dont know the answer, but I would replace that NIC card with an Intel or 3com. Try the simplest thing first. Good luck.

Check IDE or SCSI drivers too, and drivers for motherboard resources. I've found that I get better performance with manufacturer-specific drivers like intel's and FutureDomain's than with the generic MS drivers.

I'm just wondering if it might be an IRQ issue, a DMA issue, or a memory timing problem.

Howard Dingman
Pro-Tel Communications
Endicott, NY

webmaster<at>holocom<dot>com

are there specific tools that you can recommend in order to check to see if any of these issues might be the problem? I appreciate help from the both of you. I am out sick - so i will try the NIC swap when i return to work.

I have been staying on top of windows updates and virus definitions, so I don't think this is the problem.

I've been opening the system box and finding out what the chipsets are, then going to the manufacturer's website to download the most current drivers for that chipset. I've found that the disk included with motherboards is often a revision or two behind the one on the web, and often you may be experiencing a bug that has been corrected in a newer release.

hd

The only reason why I think it might be something else is that it has been running fine for six months --- then this started. ((I have scowered the system with updated definition virus scans))

I saw it happen again on this last friday when someone tried to copy the contents of a network directory and the system rebooted......

very frustrating --- I appreciate your help very much

What new bugs came out in SP3?

Patch to the patch to the patch . . .

Thanks, Redmond.

;-)

Is it possible your machine is overheating because of fan going out, causing the reboot when you work it to hard? Check your fan while copying and see how it's working.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
&quot;The best fire does not flare up the soonest.&quot;
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

okay --- just found something new today ---- I was able to cause a reboot today while accessing a share from a workstation --by right clicking a file and selecting &quot;open with&quot; --- server dropped immediately.

Create a performance log, have it send alerts to you whenever the cpu hits a certain level. I had a server lock up on me every so often and I would have to re-boot it, so I used this to find that it was anti-virus software locking the machine up. You need to find the common ground for the re-boots.

Glen A. Johnson

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

okay... I have monitored the cpu useage and everything is going fine. It would go all the way from 2% useage to 99.9% percent without reboot. Monitored system while attempting to copy large directory from server to workstation. Lost contact at 23%.

There's another thread that sounds similar, Error 6008

thread96-443206

yes, it is error 6008 --- unexpected shutdown. I had read that thread too and it isn't a power issue, and the hard drive is less than a year old. Investigating online for error 6008 yielded many, many returns but none that sounded like they could result in my problem.

Sure it's not a defective fan? I've seen this before on other machines.

Glen A. Johnson

Do you have any error messages about True Vector Engine? I've found several people talking about auto re-boots with no BSOD, and they've narrowed it down to the True Vector Engine which has something to do with Zone Alarm in this instance. I've got multiple errors about this on mine, and I'm using Zone Alarm. Just an FYI. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson

checked the fan out and it is running fine. We aren't running zone alarm and the only error messages is the unexpected shutdown. this is very frustrating and I thank you for your continued help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back