Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Racks? Rack Mounted LCD and servers? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinnt

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
US
Hi all,

As someone that is very new to the server rack world, I have suggested our company to go with this technology due to it's space saving advantages. However, I do have a few questions:

What rack (make, model, and/or vendor) do you recommend for 2 servers that might need to be increased to 4-6? Curerntly , the rack would need to contain 1 rack mounted server and 1 server tower.

Are there any tips, ideas, warnings, considerations, you can give to someone that is new to the world of server racks?

What do you recommend for a rack mounted LCD/Keyboard/Mouse (quality + saving$)? KVM won't need to be built in as a seperate one will be purchased.

What vendor do you recommend for rack mounted LCD/Keyboard/Mouse purchases?

I understand my questions are a little vague. But any help would be greatly appreciated... If you need more specifics please let me know and I will try to be more clear.

Thanks in advance....

what make of servers are you buying?

it makes sense if you have the money, to standardise on the same make for rack and contents.

Rob

Going for the Compaq ProLiant DL380 G3 2.80GHz model. It's the only rack mounted server that will be in there for now... Hope to buy a shelf for the rack and put the exsisting HP tower server on it...

Why standardise on the rack? Will we run into some big problems if we don't? I thought they all had the same dimensions and were essentially universal? Our vendor only had 1 rack so thats what we went with (think its a generic) ....

universal in the 19 inches wide mounting, but not all racks are the same depth.

For example, we use a hosting company who provided us with a rack. We have about a dozen servers in that rack, mainly Fujitsu siemens, with a couple of Dell and a couple of Compaq. The hosting company adjusted the rails to allow us to mount Dells properly on rails, but we ended up putting everything on shelves, because they all have different length rails, different mount points, etc etc.

Basically, check the dimensions carefully, and if you can get adjustable length rails, do so. Its kind of tricky getting into a server to work on it when it is on a shelf with 2 other servers on top of it!

Hi,

I just spent the afternoon installing 1 Compaq DL-380, 1 Compaq DL-360 and a APC 750 UPS in a beautiful enclosed server cabinet. The width was perfect (standard 19") but unforutnately the brackets for the servers and the ups didn't fit. Basically the original brackets for the servers are gliding rails that allows you to pull the whole server forward to access the cables in the back. Unfortunately those rails were too long (about 10 inches longer than the server itself). We ended up putting both servers on very solid shelves. For the UPS we put it on the bottom because we were out of shelves and it was the heaviest equipment. The rails for the UPS are ajustable but the bolts were not long enough to go through the mounting colums. I'll try to find longer screws to attach the ups on the rails and allow air flow below the UPS. I also installed a Cisco switch in a floor mount rack in a different communication room. Again I had trouble, the bolts supplied by Cisco are too big for the wholes on the rack. I have a feeling there's isn't any standard dimensions. I've learned to always have a few shelves on hand and have plenty of spare bolts that come with the rack itself because the mounting colums are threaded to fit the screws supplied.

Hopefully you will be more successful with your equipment

Anthony

I have never really installed a server rack (and servers) before. It would sound to me, however, that it is faily simple and straight forward - no spcial experience or training needed. I know they have certs such as Server+ but I would think that would be a bit more toward the software end of things....

Would all of you agree with this?

racks are superb

if you buy a compaq rack as you have compaq kit -then no probs

the new g3's rails arent as nice as the old ones but still good

the lcd monitor isnt as good as the older fashion switch and i would avoid
they look nice but more fiddly and not as good a picture - and all my servers are netware so picture not high on list

It's also nice when you have a new rack, new servers and new rails. The problem I had was I have old servers (at least 2 years old) that have been abused (loose front panels, slightly dented). Mismatched rails from 6 different types of servers and no instructions on how to assemble. A new server cabinet (no named) but looked amazing but didn't seem to follow any standards other than being 19 inch wide. I guess that many have mentionned, if you go all with ONE brand, it would be much easier.

I like the folding metal brackets that come with the Compaq servers to guide the wires in and out when sliding the server out.

Anthony

Putting together a server rack is not as straight forward as it may at first appear.

You need to calculate current and more importantly future power requirements.

Kw output for choosing the right air conditioning units.

Maximum needs for UPS supply. Grounding for the cabinets and installation of isolation switches.

Don't forget stabilty kits. Power distribution units for the cabinets and fan trays.

Strapping the thing together is easy enough, its the planning and future proofing that counts in the longer term

Use IMserv 1000mm deep cabinets. You'll obviously need a shelf for the tower model until it is replaced. Get a big (tall) rack because one day I expect you'll have servers, a UPS, your network switch and patch panels and telephone exchange all rack mounted.

Our company use IMserv rack with HP (Compaq) servers almost exclusively and they work together very well together.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back