Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server power downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHuckfield

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2003
ZA
I have a strange problem that I experience with an IBM x235 server. The server randomly powers down. and then up again...there is no set pattern for this.
We have replaced almost the entire server now, including board, processors, VRM's, memory. We have also moved the disks with the RAID controller to a new machine and we have the same problem. We had similar issues with another x235, but after replacing the processors on that one, the problem is resolved. This server does not log any errors in the Event Viewer (Win2K Server SP4)no POST errors, nothing. No Windows Dumps. I have run diags on the box and all looks well, all the tests pass...we have run IBM update express, and installed all the latest and greatest we have also installed a processor update
Could the ServRaiD 6i card cause this? Has anyone ever seen this kind of problem? your input would be VERY appreciated.

What kind of CPU do you have. What kind of Powersupply do you have? It looks like you have a 3 GHz CPU with an old 565?W Powersupply.

When you have bad cache ram you can have this problem. Basically many parts on a controller could cause this, though raid adapters going south are rare.

Power flucations with sensitive power supplies will also cause the problem..even with UPS units, especially with batteries near their end of life.

well, first of all thanks for the replies...
secondly...
the server has dual power supplies, and each power supply gets power from a different UPS and a different circuit...I thought about this, but there are 2 other boxes on the same config, they are cool...
the serber has dual 2.8GHz CPU's, the PSU's are 560W...
is that an issue?

Bhuckfield, we recently has a similar issue with an x235 re-booting at random. It was isolated to a loosely connected (installed) CPU. After re-seating it "correctly" the problem went away.

apologies that I never came back to this thread, been mental here...
The problem was in fact with a loose CPU or VRM, since we have replaced them, the problem has disappeared...
thanks for your input guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back