Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeSe

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
GB
Hi,
Is there any software for Server Partitioning (except the IBM proprietary software)? UML? Did anyone succesfully tried such a software?
Thanks
SS

Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you want. You want to partition a hard disk? Which OS are you using?

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

Nope - I want to run multiple instances of Linux on the same machine havind separate FS, IP addresses, etc.
This is called server partitioning (at least in IBM technology terms)
Cheers,
SS

You want to run them at the same time, or multi-boot? It sounds like you want to run them at the same time. Check this out if thats what you want -->

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

Hi Chris,
Yes, I want to run them at the same time...
VMWare is Ok (except that is not very cheap). UML (user mode linux) does the same - but I am not sure whether it can run multiple OS's at the same time...
But there might be other options as well...
Cheers
Sorin

Look at plex86.org for a noncommercial solution. It was pretty beta when I looked at it, but I think they have a Debian package now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back