Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server not visible. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naive43

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I have a small LAN connected with windows 2000 server as the domain controller. when i click on the entire network from any computer in the network, i see all the computers that are connected, except the server. So, I am not able to access the shared folders that are in the server. any suggestions to get thru will greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.

make sure not firewall running on the LAN. what do you get if using net view \\dcname command?

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Thanks Rob for the reply.I dont have any firewall running. am sorry. I am really naive to this.how do I use netview? your kind guidance would be appreciated.

When you have a single DC that has dns and wins and points to itself, netlogon starts before DNS and WINS. This means that the sever was unable to register in DNS/WINS. To fix it open a command prompt on the server and issue the following commands:

net stop netlogon
net start netlogon
ipconfig /registerdns
nbtstat -RR

This will reregister everything and you will be able to see it.

Also make sure that you have gave permission to access the computer over the network.

Thanks xmsre... but my problem still remains unsolved.

>net stop netlogon
>net start netlogon
>ipconfig /registerdns
>nbtstat -RR

that worked fine with the server(i.e) am able to see the server displayed in addition to all other computers in the network.but still I am not able to see the server listed with the others when seen from one of the workstations other than the server. So, I am not able to access the folders in the server. Could you Please help.
Thanks

From the workstation, can you:

1. Ping the server by IP address
2. Ping the server by fully qualified domain name
3. Ping the server by netbios name
4. net view \\servername

>From the workstation, can you:

>1. Ping the server by IP address
>2. Ping the server by fully qualified domain name
>3. Ping the server by netbios name
>4. net view \\servername

I have a static IP assigned to the server. I can ping the server by IP and i get replies. when i do net view \\servername from the workstation, i get an error saying that the network path is not found and i couldnot get thru pinging using the fully qualified domain name. I am not logged into the workstation in the domain. when i try to log in into the domain, it says that the domain is not available. can you figure out where the problem might be.
Thanks

It's likely netbios name resolution.

WHat happens when you net view \\serverIP

>It's likely netbios name resolution.

>WHat happens when you net view \\serverIP

when i do net view \\serverIP, it returns the following error msg.
"the network path was not found"

Add an entry in the LMhosts file on the worstation for the server. then try net view \\servername

We need to be able to resolve it first, then we need to check for issues with restrict anonymous, then permissions.

I have had this happen periodically with some workstations. I do a start button, search for the "computer name" of the server. This is the net bios name of the server. When the server shows up, double click on it and map your drives. I don't think that this problem is related to your server being misconfigured. Like I said, I see it on various workstations at multiple networks that I support. Even if your server is not visible through network neighborhood/my network places, you can still map to it with a batch file at startup.

Q

There's a difference between "fixing the problem" and "making it work".

Hello naive43,

Is a WINS server installed?
Make sure you're server is pointing to itself in WINS if this is itself.
Is this server also a DNS server?Make sure the DNS server is pointing to itself.
Make sure the DNS suffixe for the domain is present on the clients or if a DHCP server is giving out addresses then that the identical prefix is used on client and server.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back