Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server not rebooting after disabling iLO drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg4me

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2002
US
I have a DL360 G2 running Windows 2000 and MetaFrame XP. Like everyone else I disabled the iLO drivers to stop the BSOD when shadowing users, but now when I try to reboot the server after shutting down Windows the screen goes black with a blinking curser in the upper left hand side of the screen. If I re-enable the iLO drivers anytime I need to shadow a user the server blue screens. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks

Server Config:
DL360G2 2 P3-1400
2.2GB Ram
Dual 36.4GB HD w/ SA 5i controller.
Smart Start 5.4
Windows 2000 SP3
MetaFrame XP FR2

Believe it or not, your problem might be caused by Windows Media Player. Specifically, the problem is the Adaptec CD-Burn plug-in for Windows Media Player. It doesn't unload properly during shutdown under certain circumstances, thus preventing a reboot.

To fix this problem:

1) Go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel. Select Windows Media Player and hit Change/Remove. In the box that comes up, select 'Allow Removal of Shared Components'. Click Yes to confirm and hit Next.

2) Scroll down and check the box for the 'Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in' and hit next twice.

3) When the box prompts you to restart, hit cancel.

4) Hit Add/Remove Windows Components. Select Accessories and hit 'Details'. Select Multimedia and hit 'Details'. Deselect the Media player. Hit the various buttons (Next/OK) to exit Add/Remove Windows components.

5) Reboot. Note that the changes haven't taken effect, so the black screen will happen one more time.

6) After Windows comes up, restart it again if you'd like to test the fix.

Hopefully the problem is fixed.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back