Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server not picking up switching device gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgswong

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hi all,

Recently the network department decided to switch the gateway being used from an NT server to a switching device (they aren't very descriptive people). The address of the gateway has not changed, just the device. However, since then all the Solaris servers (2.6 OS) have not been able to pick up the gateway automatically on reboot. I must manually add the gateway each time, for each server on boot.

I have implemented a fix by having a script run each time the servers reboot to add the gateway but I don't want this to remain if it doesn't have to. Is there some way I can make the servers see the gateway and add it automatically to their routing tables after each boot? The gateway's IP is already in the /etc/hosts file but that doesn't work. Any help is appreciated.

- Stuart

stuart:

Try putting it in the /etc/defaultrouter file - create the file if it does not exist.

Also check to see if the ip name of the gate way was changed even though the address has remained the same.

Al Al

Thanks, this works although when logging in its a little slow in resolving the addresses.

- Stuart

did the NT box do DHCP or DNS, or something similar? that could be the reason that the defaultrouter hasn't been set ...

Yes, the NT box did DHCP but not DNS, and now the new gateway device does not. So what exactly does this mean? Is this why the telnet connection takes almost 10 secs. to connect now?

- Stuart

1) if your solaris boxes use DHCP ...
the NT server gateway picked up the information automatically from your network (thing they do well ... sometimes) whereas now you've told it and it's checking ... :)

2) if they didn't ...
the NT box used to announce itself better, and now they're checking the default router properly ...

could be that ...

another way of getting the default router thingamy to work is to look at the '/etc/networks' file and add all your networks ... hopefully it'll have enough sense to figure itself out ...

i'll ask around if none of this makes any real sense, or if it doesn't help ...

another thing to think about is whether your domain name is now being set ... sendmail amongst others has a real hard time if it doesn't know your domain ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back