Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server not operational

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlbown

MIS
Aug 16, 2001
GB
We are having some wierdness when tryin to share a HP 930C printer on a client W2K machine. The setup is W2K server running Exchange 5.5 and DNS/DHCP/etc. and a mix of W2K and other Windows clients.

After installing the printer I am trying to share it with the other users on the network so I go into Printer/Properties/Security then click Add... to get the list of Users/Clients in bhf (the domain name here). It shows the list of users and I select one and click Add, then OK, and in the list of authorised users it shows the name of the user.

However when you go back into the list of users in Security again it shows a long sequence of letters and numbers instead of the name (presumably the SID??) Then when you try and add someone again I cannot get access to the list of users from the server.

If I remove the SID(?) and try and Add again I get the message "Server Not Operational" and it will not display the list of users. 2 minutes later the list is there again
!!!! But everything else works during the same period, you can still see the data on the server and access Exchange to read emails, so contact is still being made.

Is this a Server problem, DNS etc.

Thanks in advance

Karl

Following up from the above:

The computer that will not work is using DHCP and appears in the DHCP leases list as computername.bhf and does not appear in the DNS list
Other computers (that do work) appear as computername.bhf.local and DO appear in the DNS list. it looks like this must be significant, or is it a red herring?

Cheers

Karl

Hi,
i got also this long sequence of letters and numbers ,
if you will wait a few seconds you will see the user name.
What i didn't understand is if you instaled the printer on the client pc or server and if you shared the printer ? Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

If memory servers some printers in from HP the drivers are designed so they can not be shared out.

I have had this problem with HP deskjet printers it is none to fun.

I seem to have sorted it out now. It looks like the problem was with the DNS. as mentioned the machines that couldn't share their printers (or perform Computer Management across the network) where not appearing in the list in the DNS server. I joined the domain bhf.local with those machine (as opposed to bhf) and they are now OK

Cheers

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back