Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server not found error with no www in URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaX

Technical User
Jul 13, 2002
US
My client is getting a server not found message when he tries to visit his site without putting the URL. This is only happening when he is using safari on a mac.

This seems really weird to me. What issues are there with using not that are browser related? Or is this some sort strange coincidence. It's a Flash site if that has anything to do with it.

This is the URL

Worked fine for me using Safari and Firefox on MacOSX. Maybe they have a problem with the DNS for that Mac?

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Blog [!]@[/!] CodeRambler
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

It could be that they have the domain set up on an internal DNS. This could be to handle internal email etc.
This could mean that any requests for non caught by the internal system and cannot be resolved internally.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Get them to kick open a terminal and see if they can ping the server. If they can, it's possibly a Safari configuration issue. If they cannot, it's probably a DNS thing as Foamcow and Jeff mention.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

OK.I'm pretty sure then, that this has nothing to do with anything I've done or haven't done. I'll get their IT guy to look into it. Thanks!

If they have an 'IT Guy' then I'll wager they have an internal DNS and that is stopping the non leaving their internal network.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back