Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server not appearing in Network Neighbourhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

dePaor76

MIS
Jun 24, 2004
US
I've got a Windows 2000 Server (SP4 etc) which will not appear in Network Neighbourhood at all.
I can ping the box via IP & FCDN without issues, I can go to Start\Run and put in the name or IP no issues, I can even search for the computer and it will find it and tell me that it's location is in fact my domain however it just will not appear in the network neighbourhood!!

Anyone any ideas as to why? I'm really at a loss. I've checked WINS & DNS no issues can see records (correct) for the machine, LM/HOSTS files are AOK.
It's probably something simple I'm overlooking but really at a loss as to what it is....

Help me obi wan, your my only hope!!

I would check two things:

1. Make sure the Computer Browser sevice is started on the Server not showing up.

2. Check the Advanced TCP/IP setting on the NIC to make sure NetBIOS IS enabled.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!! I should have mentioned alright that the Computer Browser service appears to be running ok & also I have netbios enabled over TCP/IP. I'm using a static IP on the server in question & all entries such as WINS, DNS & hosts etc are accurate.

If you have any more suggestions, they'd be very much appreciated!
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back