Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server: no ports left

Status
Not open for further replies.

jushin100

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2012
GB
I don't look at these systems everyday so I hope someone wouldn't mind helping me on this.

I have been called in to help a friend. His company is running a BCM400 3.6 build 2.2c.
The interface is unified manager.

The company has 32 licenses + 4 VOIP terminal licenses.
The company is using 17 LAN networked T7208 phones and 3 IP phones in another office (one is an i2050 softphone).
Sor far so good.

Another T7208 is on order as we speak but as a quick fix for the need of an additional phone we installed another i2050 softphone. We get the error "SERVER: NO PORTS LEFT".

We should have enough licenses and I'm wondering if we will have the same problem when the new T7208 is on order.
Under IP telephony, IP Terminals, Nortel IP terminals, all the IP phones are listed - the one showing the error message will be labelled as offline . It is possible to get the phone registered by turning off one of the other IP phones. However only the first 3 phones turned on will work. The 4th phone will show the "SERVER: NO PORTS LEFT".

I checked the resources and our Bus 02 has 17 used and 15 unequipped ports
Bus 01 has 32 out of 32 used ports using device PCID (no-one in the company remembers what this was originally used for).
Bus's 4-6 are unequipped
Bus 7 is a trunk module
Bus 8 is a data module

1) Even though bus 02 has unequipped ports is it still likely that we have a port problem?
2) Is there a way of freeing up the ports on Bus 01 that use device PCID? Any idea what these ports are doing at the moment?
3) This system is a 2/6 split at the moment is it worthwile to change it to 3/5? I have heard many suggestions on the web that suggust this. This means I will lose Bus 07 my trunk module (I cannot see the DIP switches needed to change the location of the trunk module from bus07 to say bus06.

Any helpfull suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

No Ports Left refers to licensing. You will need an IP client license for each IP device you have connected. If you have an IP device that is registered with the BCM which is not used, you can Deregister it to free up that license.

Thanks Zimm39,

But at the moment 4 IP client licenses - 3 clients connect fine. The 4th one will not connect and will show "SERVER: NO PORTS LEFT" message.
At this stage I have deregistered all of then. Turned them on one at a time, it doesn't matter which terminal goes on last, the last one shows the error.

Thanks for your input, maybe I wasn't clear.
"3 IP phones in another office (one is an i2050 softphone)."
One of the 3 is a softphone.

Those 3 work but number 4 will not work and shows the error "SERVER: NO PORTS LEFT".

It just occurred to me--in your Resources, the Maximum for IP Client under Application resources is probably set at 3 instead of MAX.

Thanks for your reply. Any idea how I could check that in Unified Manager?

Thanks for your reply. Any idea how I could check that in Unified Manager?

Look for Application Resources, and under that, look for IP Client settings. It's been quite a while since I have used Unified manager, as I am on Element Manager for the updated systems we have.

Thanks for your help.

I checked under resources, media services card, MSC configuration.
It states IP Clients: Maximum = 4, Licenses = 4, Hardware Limit = 58

So still no idea why it is only giving me 3.

Any more thoughts anyone?

look under services / IP Telephony / IP terminals / nortel IP Terminals, then look at the ip terminal status tab, see if there is one configured, but offline, if so click on it, and choose de register DN, this should free up a port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back