Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigugly

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2002
US
I've got a Netware 5.1 box. I need to migrate everything on it to new hardware. Environment is very simple, this is the only NW server we've got. It's serving up NDS, Groupwise, file services and print queue service.

I've installed Netware on the new server. I plan on migrating the data by backup tape and migrating NDS with a product called DeTroubler (tested already, it works fine on our simple tree).

My question is this: I'm essentially doing an overlay of the old to the new. What configuration files should I make sure to keep (and not overwrite from the old box's backup) from the new install?

The usual hardware drivers (HAM, etc) and the startup files that refer to them (startup.ncf at least). Sometimes you can have hardware references in your autoexec.ncf as well, you'll probably want to manually merge the old with the new on that.

Doesn't your 5.1 install disk have a Migration Wizard with it? That would make the job a breeze.

Yeah, I'm using the migration wizard for migrating data only. I'm not using it for NDS because(as far as I understand) you can't do the final migration without taking the old server completely out of production. I'd like to do a test migration to the new server and evaluate it for little while before making the final leap.

Are you using RAID1? I've been known to pull a RAID1 disk out and slap it in a test server. You could then try the full migrate on a physically separate network.

I'm all about RAID1. Seize my servers? No need, here's a set of disk duplicates, guaranteed fresh...

Hey, never thought about that. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I think it would be much easier to just put the second server in the tree, let it get a replica, and then you don't have to fuss with NDS. Then you can move the files with the Consolidation utility.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

that would be my favoured route
clean and easy and intact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back