Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Keeps beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressedTechie

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
GB
A friend has phoned to say his server keeps beeping at him. He said it started last night, he thought it was the UPS but its the actual server that is beeping every second or so. I asked him when the beeping starts and its as soon as he signs into the machine. I am about to ask him to check event viewer but just wondered if any of you guys knew what it might be.

Its Windows NT4.0 Server

Thanks

Event viewer sounds like the place to start, but has he got a stuck key on the keyboard, or heaven forbid, a pizza box resting on the space bar . . . :)

could be overheating. aim a fan at it, see if it stops.

Corie

hmm I have checkde Event Viewer and nothing is abnormal in there. A few failed backups but nothing else.

I opened Wordpad to see if a key was stuck but nothing there either.

The beeping is not the usual sort you would get when a key is stuck. Its a beep ever second or so, when a key is stuck its a constant beep! This is a wierd one

According to the beep codes it is most likely a CPU fan issue. If he has the temperature alarm setting too low this may be the issue. However, the most likely resolution here is more ventilation.

Please address my pet hate, "a cable is loose, you lose your keys

Its fixed I popped around last night and it turns out he two hdd's in the server. One had stopped responding, but no messages in envent viewer. Replaced the drive and restored his data. Problem resolved.

Thanks for all your advise!

Cheers
ST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back