Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanos

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2002
GB
Before i go ahead and do it.....does anyone know of any issues hooking up a 2k client with an nt4 server. If there are any can someone let me know before i go ahead with the 2k operating system.

Ta

If its a new 2k client you should have no problem.

Start of by creating a user account on the nt server. Then from the client log on as a local administrator, then start, setting, network and dial-up connections, advanced, network-id and follow the wizard or properties and do it manually,

You will need to use the user account previously created and create a computer account. Finally make that network user a member of the local administrators by right click my computer select manage, local users and groups, groups select administrators, add drop down the look in and select the domain, then choose the user account previously created.

If it is not a new client. You have two choices either make it a member of a workgroup with the same domain name. Or copy the user profile to the network. If you don't do this you will not be able to see the old data, apps and desktop, although it will be available if you log on locally. If you need further help let me know.

Thanks for all the help.
I know how to do all this tho. Was just wondering if anyone knew of any conflicts between the 2 when networking. Sorry if i seemed a bit vague.

Nope - nothing new. Just join the domain, and off ya go. I've got a Win2K machine running on an NT server network, and it didn't take any extra networking. -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back