Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server is very slow...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

idanraz

MIS
Feb 11, 2003
US
We have a win2000 server, which is not a part of a domain.
Our payroll system is on this server and the application is working fine but...
1.I can't browse to WINNT and PROGRAM FILES folder.
2.can't stop/start services
3.IE doesn't work
4.can't install programs (takes a few hours).

I use the admin user and have full rights.
It seems like there are a few corrupted files.
What are my options? Should I use a repair? And if I do will it overwrite the payroll software and services?

By the way, the server has 2 HD, which are dynamic.

Hope someone out there can help me with this...

Thank you,

Nick Mualim

This issue looks like something more then just a lock on something or….
But always check the obvious before doing anything major, Check task manager who is running there on high CPU or high memory, as well you should check in your Database management if there is a lock in the Database, Check if there are any suspicious services running on your task manager, and of course check for viruses, check in the event viewer for warnings and try to get some information out there and from there on you might post the errors and get future help…
And for sure you should do a complete power cycle, shut down the computer and plug out all electric power connections and then start up again.

Sorry I couldn’t help you more technically, but try all these from above and I give a big chance that it might help, and if this doesn’t help {I hope It will.} re-post hopefully someone here will be able to help you.

Good luck
JoelB

Thank yop,

Task manager is OK , cpu usage is 2%-3%.
The server was checked for viruses.
We had to reboot a few times because it was shipped here from another location.
I will check the DB.

Nick Mualim

Ouch, sounds pretty bad. Sounds like a virus or possibly a hardware conflict. If your positive it no virus,Try booting in safe mode, see if things run better. If they do then I would check all your hardware and software. If not then backup and try to run a repair, you should not lose any software or files it will just replace operating system files.

Good LUCK!!

Hi,

Back-up the critical data files on the system! You did not give any feed back from event viewer? If this server was part of another domain you should check your tcp/ip settings. You might want to disable non critical services to rule out conflicts.

JETE

This server was never part of a domain.
It acts the same even in safe mode.
The event viewer has some error messages about services that times out.
Like I wrote before , there is no way to stop/start a service from the MMC or from the command mode.

Nick Mualim

When you say that you booted in safe mode make sure that you booted without the network settings;
Double check if your current user name and have administrative rights, and it is better you should have the user name and password of the “Built In” Administrator Un [I have seen some incidents where it did help.] ;
Try to update it with all Microsoft critical patches (and check out for some recommended updates as well.) you can setup the updates in control panel;
Did it work the same at the previous location, what was the last change to the configuration physically and internally for the server when it did work, can you try to roll back to last time it did work properly and disconnect anything but Pointing device and monitor and see if it helped?
When exactly does it start to work slow?

[I guess you could of figure out all of these above, but I am trying…]

JoelB

First of all I'd like to thank you for your time.
It's good to know someone out there want to help.
I am using the local admin username. When booting in safe mode I didn’t choose "safe mode with networking"
The server was working fine for about 2 months then started to act weird...can't install any patches or SP (it has SP3)
I've also tried "last known good config" no luck there.
I should mention this server has SQL on it which is working fine.
The payroll application is using SQL and there is no problem with it.
But I'm afraid that when I'll have to install updates I'll get stuck...

Nick Mualim

Problem solved!!
Just wanted to let all of you know it's fixed.
I had to goto the registryand disable a few services (enable other) and reboot.
The server is back to normal, I don't know what service caused the problem but I'm happy its gone!!

Thank you for your help.

Nick Mualim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back