Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server indicating more space taken up than there actually is

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocode99

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
I have a Windows 2003 server with a Raid-5 (6x146gb) split into 2 partitions. The D drive is 370GB usable space and when I look at My Computer or look at the properties of the drive, it indicates it's using 120 GB of space. I've ran several utilities and the most I'm getting is 20 GB of used space. There was a bad drive that I've replaced and I've ran sdelete twice (before and after the drive replacement). I plan on P2V the server and I'm afraid it's going to tell me that it's occupying 120 GB of space and I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. The disk utilities scan system files too and there's no page file or hidden recycle bins occupying data. Anybody seen this issue before?

See if TreeSizeFree gives you a different opinion or points to the culprits (disk hogs).

I found the culprit. It's the System Volume Information (system folder on the root drive). I adjusted the maxsize of the system restore storage (by using the vssadmin command) and cleared up a lot of data.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back